Rowing machine?

Options
so as the cold wet days draw in i was looking for something i can do at home, i came upon the idea of getting a Rowing machine. I thought it would be good for my general cardio, i read somewhere you use 82% of you muscles rowing so would help with toning and my fella would use it too so benefitting us both.

Anybody regulary use Rowing machines for their fitness? how many calories ami looking to burn in a 30 min workout?

My plan is to get up in the morning do 30 min on the rower whilst watching the News, then do my strength/ab training maybe 4 times a week. The other days i will swim at the local pool

Replies

• louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I burn 10 cals a minute on the rower, but find it difficult to do it for more than 12 minutes.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's very challenging. But the workout is great--if your fella will use it as well, then you're more likely to stick with it I'd think. If you have the space I'd suggest doing the rower plus one other thing--like an elliptical or ski machine for a total body workout. Maybe try out a rower to see which one you like before making a purchase?
  • ringmaster389
    Options
    I've had a concept 2 rower for a month now. Having come from a background of running for cardio, rowing is completely different. There is less emphasis on your leg muscles and more your entire body. I find my upper body muscles "tired" after a workout, as opposed to my legs, but i feel that i am getting a similar workout from a cardio perspective as if i was using a treadmill. There is a lot less stress on my joints using the rowing machine, plus it is easier to move around the room as opposed to a treadmill. I would recommend a monitor with a heart rate monitor, definitely a nice touch.
  • suzannecampbell
    Options
    Rowing is one of the best all round exercises - toning and cardio - and low impact. I row "real boats" and train on the rower as well. But I'm lucky enough to live in a good climate : )

30 minutes is a long time. Bad technique will start to kick in as you tire and this will be bad for your back. I generally do 2000 metres or 1000 metres aiming for 2.30 per 500 metres. I set the resistance on 3.5 as this is the closest to real rowing.

If you want to use it regularly, check out the correct technique which uses legs, core and upper body in the correct proportions - this will save your back and allow you to row for longer. If you google or you tube sculling technique you will find this.

Have fun!
    Suz
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, rowing is a passion of mine. How many calories you burn depemds on how hard you push yourself, but even a semi-decent one nowadays will have an LCD display to give you all your stats
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have a water rower. If I ever got another one I would get the kind with a built in fan.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it difficult to stick with the Rower long enough to burn significant cals. I would go with a Treadmill or Cross trainer.

But it's a personal choice.

Phil
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i always used to row when i had a gym membership years ago, maybe 30min is a bit ambitious.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Rowing is one of the best all round exercises - toning and cardio - and low impact. I row "real boats" and train on the rower as well. But I'm lucky enough to live in a good climate : )

30 minutes is a long time. Bad technique will start to kick in as you tire and this will be bad for your back. I generally do 2000 metres or 1000 metres aiming for 2.30 per 500 metres. I set the resistance on 3.5 as this is the closest to real rowing.

If you want to use it regularly, check out the correct technique which uses legs, core and upper body in the correct proportions - this will save your back and allow you to row for longer. If you google or you tube sculling technique you will find this.

Have fun!
    Suz

This. I rowed in college, and fell in love with the machines. My biggest peeve at my gyms post-college were ppl jumping in a rowing machine, setting the resister fan to 8, and the using horrible technique. Then they'd get frustrated after a minute our two because they didn't burn thee calories they thought they would.
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Rowing is one of the best full body exercises. The best make is Concept 2 - these are the types you find in gyms and all the top rowers use them. They cost though but if you shop around you can find a good second hand one - they're built to last and hold their value too. I have my own and row 4 - 5 times a week. If you need further info let me know. I would advise you to try one first though to see if you like it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Awesome workout but you need proper technique. Most people at the gym just sit down and wail on thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Former college rower...the rowing machine (or torture device) is an awesome way to get fit BUT you have to use proper technique or you will totally screw up your back. It is great for intervals as well as steady state pieces assuming you build up your endurance on it first. I bought a Concept 2 back when I was in law school because I missed rowing...still have it and it works like a champ :smile: (hubby recently tried to talk me into getting rid of it and I said no because *someday* I will get back out on the water for the real deal and I want to be ready...)