C25k for treadmill

Options
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about doing the C25k on the treadmill before I try and do it on the road. Has anybody done the C25K on the treadmill and followed the plan on the website? If so how did it go?

What results did you see from doing the C25k?

Any answers would be a great help

Thanks
Dani:happy:

Replies

• andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I did the C5K treadmill program. I liked it!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Bump.

i started on a treadmill, then started to go to the park but now its getting dark i think ill go back to the treadmill.
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I will do W7D1 today and I run most of the times in the treadmill. It's a little bit more boring than running outside but it's ok too. You will do it great!
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 2 on the treadmill. I like it so far.

I don't have a good place nearby to run outside, because the roads near me are so busy. This works out fairly well. Although I'd rather be out of trails someplace, I haven't run in years, so I'm working back into it slowly.

I keep the printout on the wall by my treadmill so I don't have to run, breathe, and try to remember what times to change it up.
  • StudioMaid
    StudioMaid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What is C25k for treadmill?
  • niceandsimple
    Options
    its the couch to 5k running program and IT WORKS! i went from not running to completing a 5k, it was great! i used a treadmill the whole time - then you have no excuse to skip a day (rain, snow, sleet, too hot) and you can watch tv for distraction - the beginning is difficult but its worth it!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • michelleb148
    michelleb148 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 5, day 2 this morning. I have been switching up treadmill and outdoor running - mostly just running on the treadmill when the weather is bad because I really dislike running in the rain.

There are some advantages and disadvantages I have seen from my own experience of using the treadmill
    ADVANTAGE: I tend to push myself a little more on the treadmill. I think, "well if I'm running at 5 mi/hr, I wonder if I could do 5.1 or 5.2...". I also tend to ramp up the level of incline each time, just to give myself a challenge. The other nice thing is that the treadmills at my gym have heart rate hand sensors, so I get a more accurate reading of calories, as opposed to using whatever the app says on my ipod touch, which does not include inclines or speed calculations.
    DISADVANTAGE: Since running on the treadmill is notably less interesting than running outside, I tend to watch the minutes (well, seconds) tick by, which makes the sessions seem that much longer.
    RECOMMENDATION: If you are planning to eventually run outside, I would recommend choosing a program on the treadmill like "random" or "hills" to simulate uneven terrain that you would encounter running outside.

In terms of results, when I started I could barely run the running segments of the first week, having not gone to the gym in about 3 months. Today, I ran two sessions of 8 minutes straight with no problems. I have signed up for a 5k race for the weekend after my last week of c25k and I am determined to run the full time. To prepare for that, I am forcing myself to run outside, even in gross weather, and I am waiting for my new pedometer/calorie counter to come in the mail so I can get better readings on the calories I burn.

Best of luck to you! It's amazing the endurance you will build with this program!
  • danidav88
    Options
    Thanks guys for the responses.

I have been to the gym and done my first day on C25K on the treadmill and found it ok.

Thought it was really easy to begin with and then got a little harder.

How many times a week do you do it?

Dani xx
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani,

I used to do it 3 days a week as the program says: on, off, on, off, on, off, off. But now in W7 I got crazy and I am doing it everyday. Why? Because I found that I had some psichological barriers, meaning, in the minute 5, 15 and 20 more or less. I suffer thinking about how many minutes are left, am i tired, am i doing good? so, by repeating the sessions i am feeling comfortable now running 25 minutes non stop.

I am increasing the intensity and always, the last minute is a sprint for me... but is not according to the program, that is my choice.

So, today is my W7D3 I guess and will move to W8!

There is a 5K race in november and I would like to take part even if it is not for competition rather than checking that i am doing good.

Jose