Cauliflower Leek Soup

Options
joseph9
joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
Super delicious, low calorie, low carb. Not really the same as potato leek soup, but reminiscent. Originally from allrecipies, but with a bunch of changes.

1 medium cauliflower, cut into about 1.5" cubes
1 shallot, cut into large rings
3 leeks, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 yellow onion, rough chopped
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
4 chicken bouillon
(ETA: 1 15 oz can cannellini or white kidney beans, drained)
3 Tb light butter
2 Tb olive oil
Salt, pepper, and herbs to taste

1) Put the cauliflower and shallots on a baking sheet and broil at 500 until the cauliflower just starts to brown
2) Melt the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan, then add the leeks, onion, shallot, and cauliflower. Saute for about 10 minutes
3) Add the chicken broth, water, bullion, beans, and seasoning. Reduce heat to simmer, then continue to simmer covered for about 45 minutes.
4) Using a stick blender or regular blender, puree until smooth.

It comes out really silky and luxurious. It's not as thick as a potato soup, but is really nice. I used a mix of chicken stock and water, but you could use all of one or the other.

I got eight one cup servings out of the recipe, which works out to 137 calories and 19 carbs per serving.

Replies

• mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Question...in step 3 you say "Add the chicken broth, water, bullion, beans, and seasoning"....what beans? There's no beans listed in ingredients?
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Question...in step 3 you say "Add the chicken broth, water, bullion, beans, and seasoning"....what beans? There's no beans listed in ingredients?

This is my question also.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    D'oh! I left out the beans. I've edited the recipe to include 1 can of white beans, added mostly to thicken the soup and add protein.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    yummo!