Other people's odd ideas about healthy.

Options
I am not an expert and i would never claim to be. I eat biscuits and other less nutritious foods but i also try to balance it with the other good things i eat.
However, i started a new job on monday and every single girl in the office (all four of them..) are 'dieting together' which is great but i'm trying hard not to watch them eat pasta, cheese, bacon and jacket potato for lunch as a way to cut calories right now. And one of them had pizza for breakfast but it was ok because it had sweetcorn on so it was healthier. The mind boggles!
Do they really think they are eating food which will help them lose weight? I'm really muddled by this.

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert and i would never claim to be. I eat biscuits and other less nutritious foods but i also try to balance it with the other good things i eat.
    However, i started a new job on monday and every single girl in the office (all four of them..) are 'dieting together' which is great but i'm trying hard not to watch them eat pasta, cheese, bacon and jacket potato for lunch as a way to cut calories right now. And one of them had pizza for breakfast but it was ok because it had sweetcorn on so it was healthier. The mind boggles!
    Do they really think they are eating food which will help them lose weight? I'm really muddled by this.

pasta, cheese and bacon and potato are not 'unhealthy' but high calorie.
    and yes most people dont realise just how different a bowl of pasta is and a bowl of vegetables is calorie-wise.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    That's funny because it sounds just like my friends at school. They are all using MFP too, but struggle to accurately enter the amount of jelly beans, Kettle Corn, chocolate muffins, and Ranch dip with their carrot sticks. Hello, it's not all about calories in calories out! It's quality of food!
  • candace13
    Options
    good golly, are they for real? Its a bit like having a big mac and saying it healthy cause its got lettuce in it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, a low calorie count doesn't mean it's healthy and a high calorie count doesn't mean it's not. But it doesn't sound like those foods will help them lose weight if they continue eating them in those quantities.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

and yes most people dont realise just how different a bowl of pasta is and a bowl of vegetables is calorie-wise.

so true. Although I consider pasta very unhealthy. It's a refined carb. And those carbs just make you "hungry" again in a couple of hours.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I think it's justification. My ex-husband claimed his breakfast was healthy because it only costs 99 cents at Speedway - red hot smokies
    Everyone knows the cheaper the meal, the healthier it is, right?
  • TraceyDonna
    Options
    That really is the funniest thing I've ever read!! If only that sweetcorn "theory" worked, we'd all be like Kate Moss ...!!!! :-)
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I saw bacon I was thinking Adkins but the pasta & pizza threw me. Maybe it was whole wheat pasta? Low fat cheese? Maybe they were eating donuts, pie & cake for breakfast before? Keep doing what you're doing and maybe they'll learn good habits from you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's justification. My ex-husband claimed his breakfast was healthy because it only costs 99 cents at Speedway - red hot smokies

Is that how it works? lol

Maybe he meant financially healthy?
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    the way they are dieting maybe works for them. i was on a diet for a long time that didnt count calories or anything but was just focused around low fat dairy, whole grain breads, eating the right kind of fats and eating whatever i wanted one time a week, and from that i lost weight BUT i was a lot more active then and i followed it strictly. but now, i'm not doing that, being less active i'm watching my calorie counts and i dont have access to nice weather all year round like i did in California but maybe once i'm up to that activity level again i will go back to my Abs Diet.

but everyone diets differently, you just have to know what is realistic for you and how your body reacts to the regiment.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon everyday for breakfast pretty much, and I've managed to lose 25 pounds.. but I also don't go overboard and eat the whole package. I stick to the serving size of 2 slices.

I wouldn't worry too much about these girls and just worry about yourself. Eventually they will figure out what's what.. and in the meanwhile, you'll be losing weight and they'll be wondering why they aren't.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

so true. Although I consider pasta very unhealthy. It's a refined carb. And those carbs just make you "hungry" again in a couple of hours.

isn't wholemeal pasta better for you? i eat it occasionally.
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    The really frustrating thing is when you try to explain to them what "healthy" is they look at you like you are crazy. And then they just do whatever they want anyway.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Are you trying to say it isnt??
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wholegrain or low fat in their meals. I was just relatively surprised. I suppose i've been lucky and have always had vegetables and fruit available at meals when i wwas with my parents and since i've moved out.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options

isn't wholemeal pasta better for you? i eat it occasionally.

^^^^ I hope so! I eat wholewheat penne pretty much everyday (have lost 26lbs in last 8 weeks) and I think it's the one thing which keeps hunger at bay. I thought it was a slow energy release carb hence why marathon runners eat masses of it the night before they run :)
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Man i wish this was true, the penny sweet section in the shopws would be destroyed!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I think a lot of folks are very misinformed about what healthy is. And it is really sad. And a lot of people think eating that food will help them lose weight and for some it will work, temporarily. Some folks think eating a salad is a "healthy" choice. And then they mound it with all the wrong things to make it more fattening than the pizza or the cheeseburger.

My eyes were re-opened about others views on nutrition when I would go out with friends for lunch and I would have to order "non menu foods" just to get something low-fat, low-cal, and low salt. That is new for me, and my friends will say, "Is that all you are eating?" and I will tell them that I went to the restaurants website nutrition page, and the salad they ordered has more sodium than I should have for three days and more calories than I can have in a day-and-a-half and that does not include the dressing!

A book that is really a good read and has good information is called the New Glucose Revolution. It gives you lots of newer information about carbohydrates and the burn of them, which ones are slow burn and don't spike the sugar levels.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Well, a low calorie count doesn't mean it's healthy and a high calorie count doesn't mean it's not.
    Wise words, my friend.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    They are cutting their usually 3 slices of pizza and the food they used to eat with the potato jack so they justify it. They need to learn to like the healthy stuff.