Too much protein?

Options
Hi! I noticed that everyday I go over my daily protein goal. Am I doing something wrong? What little tweaks can I make?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    not sure why MFP has the protein set so low. I eat about 110-120 a day in protein---but it is all very lean protein.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    MFP has protein set way too low in my opinion. You can customize your ratios of fat, protein and carbs if you like. Under your My Home tab is a Goals tab. From there tell it to set your goals manually. You can then raise fiber (MFP is low for today's recommended amount), raise sugar (I think it's silly to be over on sugar from two servings of fruit in a day), raise protein, and lower carbs. Of course you can set things however you like. I just mentioned my own changes.

Many people recommend 0.8-1g of protein per pound of ideal body weight. You aren't going over.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Carbs and fat levels are highs that you don't want to go over. Protein is a low that you don't want to go UNDER. The chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids, which your body gets from protein. So to maximize your fat-burning, and keep your body from harvesting protein from your muscles, you need to eat AT LEAST the amount of protein listed.

In fact, many people here have found that they need to tweak the recommended percentages to include fewer carbs and more protein. Personally, my doctor did a metabolism test on me, and recommended I use 5% carbs, 30% fat and 65% protein. On a 1900-calorie diet, that works out to 300g of protein a day for me. I've been doing this for over 6 months now & have had no problems. Some people (diabetics, epileptics etc.) have been on low-carb high-protein diets like this for decades with no ill effects.

So... I certainly would not worry about going over your MFP protein recommendations, even by a significant amount!