Looking for new ideas for spicing up grilled chicken

Options
Just looking for some ideas to spice up my boring grilled chicken....any rubs, marinades or homemade sauces, please share :)

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    ooo me too....
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You may already do this... but just in case... when someone does post a great recipe for a homemade sauce... INJECT rather than just marinating. That has produced some of the best chicken I've had. YUMM-O.
  • thebunnies
    Options
    I love spicy food, so..i love grilled chicken with just some salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. i also use Goya Adobo.. it's pretty salty, so you don't need any extra salt. I've marinated chicken in honey & spicy brown mustard, Franks Red Hot sauce, or Kraft italian vinaigrette dressing before, too. all yummy.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com !!!!!!!
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    I put salsa on mine! Yummy!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do pineapple juice and teryiaki sauce. I make them into kabobs with fresh pineapple, green peppers, onions and mushrooms.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can stew it into tomatoes and chiles slowly until you can shred it. You can make this spicy or mild to taste. You can use this in many ways - over rice/barley, on tortillas, plain, add a little cheese - it is low cal enough that you can spare some calories for cheese or sourcream. You can add corn, black beans, etc. for a different kick too.

Marinade and grill your chicken in fruit - citrus and garlic, bake with apple and cinnamon, etc.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My favourite homemade spicy marinade:

Worcestershire sauce
    Garlic (fresh or dried)
    Chilli flakes (fresh or dried)
    Mustard seeds
    Smoked paprika
    Salt
    Pepper
    Thyme

Put as much or as little of each herb/spice in a bowl and coat the chicken in the marinade then grill, bbq or oven bake.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    Options
    Also lemon pepper seasoning works well. For a sweet and spicy flavor I mix cayenne pepper with garlic pepper season and sprinkle that on then cover with orange slices and bake. Italian dressing and sliced lemons over night then remove from marinade and bake. Parmesan crusted...Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    my go-to marinade for chicken:

Honey
    dijon or brown mustard
    Soy sauce
    garlic
    minced fresh ginger

Put in a bag and marinate overnight in the fridge.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love spicy food, so..i love grilled chicken with just some salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. i also use Goya Adobo.. it's pretty salty, so you don't need any extra salt. I've marinated chicken in honey & spicy brown mustard, Franks Red Hot sauce, or Kraft italian vinaigrette dressing before, too. all yummy.

Adobo is great! I like to use it with some red pepper flakes and cook the chicken in a frying pan with just a little olive oil and garlic. After browning the meat i deglase the pan with some white wine... and serve it with some steamed veggies and cous-cous.

For BBQ... I make my own rub... without divulging any secrets... 2 parts Paprika, 1 part Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder... 1/2 part cumin and then salt, pepper and red paper to taste. It is MUCH better when you leave the skin on for grilling too.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    Options
    Flatten out and stuff with frozen broccoli and your favorite cheese. The possibitities are endless with chicken. Baste a mixture of can of cranberry sauce and bottle of chili sauce. Thats a few I can think of quickly. Hope something helped.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Marinade in some lime margarita mix for a few hours or overnight. So juicy and delicious! Then top with a little salsa and some shredded Mexican cheese. YUM!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If you're not too great in the kitchen, or just lazy a few quick options are get a lower-calorie vinaigrette (sundried tomato/oregano, or roasted red pepper/parmesan) and use it as a marinade. Fairly low sugar-content and largely oil, they won't burn or stick when grilling.

Another idea is those little popcorn seasoning shakers (salt & vinegar, bbq, ketchup, sour cream & onion) they're really low-cal and are pretty concentrated sources of flavor. Breading chicken in actual crushed chips is an old kitchen trick, so a healthier option are simply the spices.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    In a large ziploc bag I marinade the boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in 1/2&1/2 (some people use buttermilk). This makes the chicken very moist and tender.

To the bag I add 2 TBS of my herb mix*, the breasts (butterflied), the 1/2&1/2, salt and pepper to taste. And massage once in a while, store for at least 2 hours (overnight is awesome).

Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade)

Place butterflied breasts on cookie sheet under broiler about 4 minutes a side**. After the second side has cooked I cover the chicken with grated parmesan cheese and let it melt.

* Herb mix:
    NOTE: This is a large recipe for the 'Herbs de Provence' You will only need about two tablespoons for the marinade.

3 Tablespoons dried marjoram
    3 Tablespoons dried thyme
    3 Tablespoons dried savory
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

**Check your cooking times... Don't serve raw meat...

We enjoy this, it really is 'plain and simple' but it adds something to the normal boring chicken. *shrug*
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    YUM!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm making this recipe from Kraft....they have tons of great, easy recipes!

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/saucy-mexican-chicken-114691.aspx?cm_mmc=eml-_-mtd-_-20110917-_-6009
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I usually make this once a week or twice, depending on what else I want.. for lunches at work...

3-4 chicken breasts
    celery
    tomatoes (small ones)
    mushrooms
    onions
    black pepper
    parsley
    lemon juice
    spaghetti sauce

combine them, just enough sauce maybe 1 cup - 2 cups? doesn't have to smother it

cover in tinfoil
    I usually do it for 40 mins b/c I don't like undercooked chicken :D

Then sprinkle grated parm cheese on top and let it melt.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I copy a Trader Joe's prepared food I love. I take the chicken, soak it in balsamic vinegar and add a liberal amount of rosemary; and grill until charred. It is super yummy!