Having trouble eating back my exercise calories....is this n

Options
Hey all! I just started using MFP a couple weeks ago. I've been logging my diet and exercise and I can't seem to eat back my exercise calories - looking for any tips or advice from anyone or to hear from people who have/are going through the same thing.

I usually work out twice a day - for 1 hour before work and approximately 1-2 hours after work depending on the day. I feel like unless I eat something unhealthy (cookies, cake, ice cream, anything else delicious like that) or go out to eat and splurge I can't eat back hardly any of my exercise calories. And I'm not really hungry in between meals so I don't know if I should be adding food or not?? I am looking to lose weight (about 20 lbs) so maybe its ok if I have a deficit??

Any feedback is welcome!! Thanks!!

Replies

• jessica_mom343
    jessica_mom343 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A healthy way to increase your calorie inake is with nuts. They are fatty, but it's GOOD fat!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! You know what I started doing with breakfast and other meals? I started doubling my healthy food. Like I eat two servings and I am going to see if that works. I would like to know about that too though.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I gotta go with the nuts too. They are healthy calories. I make my own mix of sliced almonds with dried cranberries. Mmmm mmmm good - sweet but healthy, especially when I'm trying to fill up calories for the day.

Edited to add: I found I had more of a problem eating exercise calories when I was new to dieting and exercise. It took a while, but I kind of got the hang of being able to plan my day better. In the beginning, I was worried about eating too much early in the day and then being over calories. After a bit, I learned what my norms are for exercise and eating and was able to plan my meals much better.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Didn't check your diary or anything... but do you already have recovery shakes included? If not - I would add those. Sounds like you are working out a lot.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    any calorically dense food will do;

nuts
    nut butters
    oils (olive, coconut etc)
    full fat diary
    pasta
    ice cream
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    To have a negative net everyday would be a dream of mine.....I could probably get there if I ellipticaled 2 1/2 hours a day, every day. I just ensure I eat a fair amount to provide a minimal amount of "new fuel" of no less than 1500 calories, with at least 100 grams of carbs. And where I end up, I end up. I use my exercise to allow me to vary calorie intakes so I'm not at the same level every day and still be within goals. One day may be at 1400, another day eat something else to put me at 1750, and at least one day a week am to 2000+ intake. But this is independent of exercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here are some options
    - workout less
    - Nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters
    - have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water
    - eat full calories foods (avoid diet and lite foods)
    - eat higher fat milk products such as yogurt, cheeses and milk (i.e. switch from skim to 2% milk)
    - add olive oil to soups, sauces, and salads
    - add avocado to salads and sandwiches

You don't have to eat more food to ingest more calories, just make different food choices.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.. I will burn 800 to 1100 calories a day and there is no way i can consume that much.. especially when i work out after 5 and usually sit down to dinner around 730-8
  • katinka13
    Options
    i only eat them back if i'm REALLY hungry, never managed to eat them all back.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.. I will burn 800 to 1100 calories a day and there is no way i can consume that much.. especially when i work out after 5 and usually sit down to dinner around 730-8

If you know you are going to workout, you can spread the calories out during the day (this includes before you workout)
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    i only eat them back if i'm REALLY hungry, never managed to eat them all back.

Same here!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat them back is if I am hungry... and I've steadily lost since I started mid-May. Otherwise, if you are hungry all of the food suggestions given sound real good! Best of luck to you!!!