Fat cals vs reg cal

Options
So my friend brought up an interesting subject to me last night, she wanted to know if i was counting the serving calories or calories from fat. I told her I've been counting the calories per serving. She said that a personal trainer, and her former fitness teacher told her to count the calories from fat vs the serving calories.

Just curious to see if anyone else has been told the same thing?

Replies

• supergirlie00
    Options
    So my friend brought up an interesting subject to me last night, she wanted to know if i was counting the serving calories or calories from fat. I told her I've been counting the calories per serving. She said that a personal trainer, and her former fitness teacher told her to count the calories from fat vs the serving calories.

Just curious to see if anyone else has been told the same thing?
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I count calories...and fat grams. The problem with trying to only count calories from fat is the misunderstanding of some people who don't believe that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie - a unit of measure that it takes to expend energy. Now it's true that you don't want all your calories to come from fat...but you can eat a lot of something that is low fat (so low calories from fat) and yet eat a lot of calories...which still have to be burned (or they get added as fat).

Calories from fats and proteins tend to keep you fuller than say from carbohydrates, and some would say calories from fat are easier to store as fat...but from what I have been told if you eat it, you have to burn it or wear it...so you want to make sure your calories are at the level at which you are burning them.

Just my two cents.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it's not a good idea to take on a high fat diet so you should monitor your fat intake too, BUT calories from carbs and protein can make you fat too if you're eating too much overall. Montior overall calories.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Now there are tons of views on this. People will say a calorie is a calorie, but the types of calories you eat affect your body and the way it works differently. If you are eating good healthy food those calories will fuel your body which is good. Also you want to try to keep your insulin levels pretty level, which helps you lose weight (I posted an article on this a couple of days ago, if you are interested you could do a thread search on insulin, this pertains to everyone not just diebetics)

Now here's my rule of thumb. If more than half of the calories of the food come from fat I try to avoid it. And most of the time I won't eat if if more than 25 % of the cals come from fat. But sometimes you just have to splurge. Like this morning I had bacon, 80 calories, 60 of which were from fat or 75%, all of it worth it.