Doctor vent

Options
So, ladies (guys feel free to comment)... I got in a fender bender the other day and I went to my general practitioner for back soreness... (his scale is 8 POUNDS heaver than mine, but that's not it) and he asks me about my female health! Every time I see him, he discusses aging, loss of estrogen, menopause, how many babies have I had, etc. WHAT IS THIS? I have no female complains, I report everything is normal, and I think I look pretty good for my age. Would this annoy you? I just saw him for the regular annual exam last month too.

Replies

• hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    ps, age 42
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Bak, he's a general practitioner, he's used to doing a general overhaul. I just figure that it's one of those things I have to put up with since I'm over 25.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's a bit much. I refuse to be uncomfortable around my doctor. I currently have the most awesome doctor and nurse and will never give them up. Never!

Tell the doctor that you appreciate his concern but that if you need to talk menopause you'll do it when you're ready, like maybe in 10 years.
  • hikeout470
    Options
    Thank you, I was getting a little worried. I haven't read much about it, but I thought it was a little later in life, normally.
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It annoying, but it's what doctors do. When I was in high school, I switched over to the same doctor that my mom was going to. I was 155 lbs in high school, which is overweight, and he kept telling me I needed to lose weight or I would be obese like my mother. And this happened EVERY TIME I went to him.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Some people hit menopause early, and early onset of menopause can be a sign of other things going on in your life. My sister (37) was in a seriously high stress situation and started going through some symptoms. She's since gotten it all worked out, but man . . .
  • hikeout470
    Options
    It annoying, but it's what doctors do. When I was in high school, I switched over to the same doctor that my mom was going to. I was 155 lbs in high school, which is overweight, and he kept telling me I needed to lose weight or I would be obese like my mother. And this happened EVERY TIME I went to him.

How annoying! I had a similar experience, right out of college and 130 pounds which is great for me, had an obese doctor warn me about my weight and now years later I found out she passed away at a very young age.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Just part of a routine checkup. Maybe you do not fall under this category, but I know sometimes my girl will forget about some of her random aliments until the doctor brings it up. Its silly but its just part of the job.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as a future nurse, I'm thinking they do this because they do not know when you will be in the office next...some people NEVER go to the doctor so they figure they will hit the important topics with you while you are there.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I work in medical billing. It's called a "review of systems." He should be bringing up everything in general, and then if you have a specific complaint he addresses those in more detail. Totally normal :)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    As a girl with some minor brain damage (I forget things), It'd be nice if my doc was that anal retentive. Mostly I forget if I have a question and never get to ask it.
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    he's checking up on stuff. some times things onset so slow we don't even notice them, so it helps of they ask. happens to me all the time. the one that used to drive me nuts was going in to my GP for, say, a flu shot, and getting asked about my emotional well-being. I used to be really concerned about this until I realized they were just tagging all the bases, and some of us have "red flags" that we don't even realize. for me, I have MS which means I am more susceptible to issues like depression. I didn't know that. Now it makes more sense.

At your age you're coming into a time where your hormones can go totally kittywhumpus. The doc probably wants to just keep tabs on that. your answers to the same questions over time can give him a gauge on how you may be changing and not even realize it.

of course, sometimes a doctor has just learned something new and nifty and so they obsess about it. this happened to me also. I had a time period where my doctor was fascinated by my gums, because she'd been reading about it! :)
  • hikeout470
    Options
    I guess it just annoyed me because I get regular physicals twice yearly for my occupation, and I am used to the regular questions about whatever the doctors thing, breast cancer, heart disease, cancer, take a vitamin, don't overcook your veggies, etc Thanks all for input. I am going to find a new doctor anyway because of the wait times there. 30 minutes, is ok but 3 hours is a bit excessive. Last year I had to go to one of those quicky places for antibiotics for a sinus infection, and very poor service there, never again.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    they always ask thta, just to track any fluctuations in your health. at least they have it charted somewhere if something were to go wrong, they can track how far back it started.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    So, ladies (guys feel free to comment)... I got in a fender bender the other day and I went to my general practitioner for back soreness... (his scale is 8 POUNDS heaver than mine, but that's not it) and he asks me about my female health! Every time I see him, he discusses aging, loss of estrogen, menopause, how many babies have I had, etc. WHAT IS THIS? I have no female complains, I report everything is normal, and I think I look pretty good for my age. Would this annoy you? I just saw him for the regular annual exam last month too.
    Lol, he must sell HCG too. Or is in to HRT therapy.
  • hikeout470
    Options
    Lol, he must sell HCG too. Or is in to HRT therapy.

Lol, no idea but I see what you mean about the scale... BTW Niner, your profile pic is very sexy!!!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed every time i go to a Dr. Mine is flipping out because of my B/C (i'm on depo) because ortho-tri cyclin is in her back pocket. I hate it.
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My doctor asks all different questions about my health like you but he is my dad & mum's doctor he knows there health. Dad has diabetes now, mums has been in her menopause since I was 13, has had cancer & loads of other things. He is the best doctor I have had for 18 yrs
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I went to see my obgyn, she had me take a pregnancy test(even tho I've never had sex) just because I missed a period.. yea ok, unless immaculate conception is happening, I highly doubt I'm preggers.

Let your doc ask away and chalk it up to part of his job.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There is actually a really straightforward answer to this.
    If you had had early menopause/hormonal issues etc, you may have been more at risk of osteoporosis. In the context of back pain after a shunt in the car, you wouldn't expect someone with 'normal' bones to have fractures. But if someone had abnormal/weak/osteoporotic bones then a fracture might occur with fairly minor trauma. He was probably ascertaining whether you had any risk factors for weak bones.
    Also when you see the Dr he can't make assumptions about what is causing your pain- thats how stuff gets missed, so he needs to ask 'screening' type questions about eg. your liver, kidneys, bowels, ovaries, to make sure it isn't mischief with one of those causing your pain.