Can you help me with my spinach??

Options
mybutterfly63
mybutterfly63 Posts: 41 Member
I have just bought a big bag of spinach from the supermarket but I have no idea what to do with it! Does anyone have any great recipes I can try out with it?

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I put some chopped tomatos and a handful of spinach in my scrambled eggs. I use one whole egg and 3 whites.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I use it in my salads, chop it up and put it in omelets, I have been known to eat spinach out of the bag...like chips...
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I wanna watch this too please :)

I tend to stick spinich with anything - it all wilts up anyway! you can't tell it's there for that bit of extra veg! But some recipies/ideas would be good lol! I love it
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i use it in wraps, and instead of lettuce in salads :D
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Look up Spanakopita... SO GOOD but I don't know if it's very good calorie wise... I like spinach salads and spinach in my eggs and rice... Good stuff that spinach!!
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like to add it to my tomato sauce, wilt it with garlic and onions, put it in scrambled egges, use it instead of lettuce. It is very versitile.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Throw it in some stir fry. I do it all the time! Or make a salad with it
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    just big chunks of garlic and some olive oil sauteed in a pan.. amazing and healthy!
  • anevels
    anevels Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    great in omlettes, salads, brown rice; mixed with artichokes for a dip; mixed with other greens such as collards, turnip and mustard; great sauted in olive oil
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I dry fry about an inch cube of chorizo (chopped) to release it's oil, add a few cherry tomatoes until they soften and the skins start to split, add a chopped clove of garlic and stir briefly before adding the spinach and keep tossing it together until it's wilted. LOTS of fresh ground black pepper and hey presto! If you can afford a few extra calories add some pine nuts at the garlic stage, yummy!

:flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I add it to everything. I use it in omlettes, chop it up and add it to soup, use it instead of lettuce on everything, saute it with tomatoes and onions as a side. FYI - it soaks up a ton of liquid while cooking.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    For just spinach as a side, Saute with minced garlic and olive oil until leaves are wilted but still bright green.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use it as lettuce, make a salad. I use it in everything. I cut it up and put it in pretty much anything. You could steam it and put a tad of salt and evoo. You could also through it in a smoothie with a banana. If you through some fruit in there you cant tell except its green :) I LOVE spinach!!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I like it in any salad, juice, and even tossed into any veggie stir fry. It is also good tossed in with pasta. If you like beans

saute onions, garlic and blackbeans, toss in fresh spinach and kale, then cook together. sorry i don't have measurements, just mix till it looks good. Season with paprika. I don't use much oil if any.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I chop it up real small and sneak it into the spag or lasagna sauce, the kids don't know and they love it. Also in eggs it is really good, you can put spinach in just about every thing.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    GREEN SMOOTHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use 1/4 bag of spinach and add frozen strawberries and a banana!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    GREEN SMOOTHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I use 1/4 bag of spinach and add frozen strawberries and a banana!

http://www.greendivamom.com/2008/12/14/12-great-tasting-green-smoothie-recipes/
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    :tongue: I use it to make spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast...

I butterfly a chicken breast and bake in the oven until cooked....while that is cooking I saute some spinach...then stuff the chicken breast with the cooked spinach and a piece of sargento light string cheese...stick it back in the oven for 5 minutes until ooey! its yummy!!!
  • lessardstroud
    Options
    I dry fry about an inch cube of chorizo (chopped) to release it's oil, add a few cherry tomatoes until they soften and the skins start to split, add a chopped clove of garlic and stir briefly before adding the spinach and keep tossing it together until it's wilted. LOTS of fresh ground black pepper and hey presto! If you can afford a few extra calories add some pine nuts at the garlic stage, yummy!

:flowerforyou:

That sounds awesome! Going to have to try this!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love wilting my spinach (heat a little bit of water in a pot, add spinach and stir it until it's softened. Drain the excess water. I season it with some garlic powder.)

I put wilted spinach on my sandwiches, which is very tasty.

Also try chopping up a tomato and adding it to the wilted spinach. Season it however you want, maybe add a little bit of Parmesan cheese. Makes a tasty, healthy and easy side dish.