Gaining..."WTH"??

Options
Twelve days ago I decided it was time to get serious in regards to strength training, so I upped my calories and increased the amount I'm lifting.
Well today I hop on the scale and see an increase, okay no problem , just water weight. Well, I decide to check my measurements ( I usually only take measurements the first of each month), and I've increased half an inch!! WTH!!
I was planning on trying the Jamie Eason (sp) 12 week program on Bodybuilding.com, which I will be eating more cals than I am now, but now I'm a little freaked.
I want to gain muscle and look trim and healthy, I don't want to gain back the inches I've worked so hard to lose!!
Anyone have any insight on this, thanks!!

Replies

• circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • circusmom
    Options
    Anyone??? HELLO.........Hello...........hello
  • circusmom
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the support MFP, you guys ROCK!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Lol, you can't expect an instant response in the middle of the work day when many may not know the answer to your question!

Obviously double check your calories (shouldn't need much beyond maintenance since female muscle gain is slow), but it is normal to retain water in the muscle tissue from inflammation caused by increased weight training. So you will initially gain some in the muscles you are training. After they get used to the new training or you take a break the water should shed off again. Don't worry and try to stay off the scale and measuring tape for the 1st two weeks of a new routine. Hth
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am here to support you but I don't have a clue as to the answer other than muscle weighs more than fat and if you are really lifting weights hard, I would think muscle mass increases in size like you see on body builders. You don't look very large in your photo so if it's the case you don't have much to loose or none at all, that will contribute as well. Sorry I can't help you - would if I could!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well if your cells absorb more water they "push" out more which would increase your circumference measurement. Relax it's normal. Should subside in a week or two if you're consistent.