Stress/Emotional eating.

Options
Sooooo my car broke down today its either the alternator or the battery but im way stressed out about it then i start thinking about my wedding and how are we going to pay for it cause my hubby to be's hours got cut at work (but hopefully not for long!) and now i just want to eat everything i see. i hate it! i just wish i could not think about food. i wich i could deal other ways. ugh. i drive a lunch truck for my aunt so im around food all the time. its rough when im stressing i just want to constantly eat. ihave not gone over my calories today but i did go over my fat :sad: i know ive lost ten pounds but i just wish it could go faster lol. ugh anyways i just needed to vent thanks!

Replies

• beautifullyjaded
    Options
    Sooooo my car broke down today its either the alternator or the battery but im way stressed out about it then i start thinking about my wedding and how are we going to pay for it cause my hubby to be's hours got cut at work (but hopefully not for long!) and now i just want to eat everything i see. i hate it! i just wish i could not think about food. i wich i could deal other ways. ugh. i drive a lunch truck for my aunt so im around food all the time. its rough when im stressing i just want to constantly eat. ihave not gone over my calories today but i did go over my fat :sad: i know ive lost ten pounds but i just wish it could go faster lol. ugh anyways i just needed to vent thanks!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Hey we all have bad says, mine was no better, I pigged out on a takeaway, but to my surprise I'm still within my fat - by 3 grams, over my cals by 13, but hey, some days can be so darn hard can't they!

Deal: you stop beating yourself up, and I'll stop beating myself up, tomorrow's another day, this is a new year, here's to just getting all the stressful stuff out the way ready for a fresh start to the year :flowerforyou:
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    my alternator recently went out and there is a neat little trick to find out which one it is. If you jump start your car and then take the cables off while it's still running....... If the car turns off after you take them off it's your alternator, if it stays on it's your battery! That might save you some money!!!:wink:
  • robsgal
    robsgal Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My alternator had to be replaced several times on my old car..of course when I was single and every penny counted. Not fun. I'm a total emotional eater too, I gained a ton through fertility treatments, of course the IF drugs didn't help that at all, it sucked, total emotional rollercoaster. One thing though that has always worked for me was to work out my stress. No matter how bad I'm feeling I have always been able to turn my mind off during a good cardio workout, it sort of gives my mind a break and I'm able to handle things better afterwards.

Hope it's nothing major with your car.
  • beautifullyjaded
    Options
    My alternator had to be replaced several times on my old car..of course when I was single and every penny counted. Not fun. I'm a total emotional eater too, I gained a ton through fertility treatments, of course the IF drugs didn't help that at all, it sucked, total emotional rollercoaster. One thing though that has always worked for me was to work out my stress. No matter how bad I'm feeling I have always been able to turn my mind off during a good cardio workout, it sort of gives my mind a break and I'm able to handle things better afterwards.

Hope it's nothing major with your car.

i wanted to do that but had no car. i was acctually on my way to get my sister and go to the gym. but we are working out tomarrow and im going to kick butt!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi. I understand how you feel. My job is so stressful and lately it is driving me crazy. I have found that working out (running or lifting weights, for me) really helps me reduce the stress better than eating. I've found that eating "helps" as a temporary solution but it is really just mind-numbing myself into forgetting about the problem. When I run I feel it's more of a long-term strategy for coping. I find I can put things into perspective better and think about things while I'm working my muscles instead of my brain. After I work out I feel like I'm flying, so up and proud of myself!, whereas after I pig out, I feel even more down in the dumps.

So I would suggest trying exercise instead of eating. If you feel too hungry to exercise (that happens to me) I would eat a protein bar or lean protein like chicken or turkey about 45 minutes before you work out... that will fill you up and give you energy to work out. Soon you will be concentrating on better things than food.

I completely understand about your wedding money issues too. This is what I've learned: *nothing* is as important as sharing the big day with the love of your life and your very most closest family members and friends. To me it's sad that weddings have become more about consumerism and venues and companies do everything they can to jack up the price as they hear the word "wedding." I don't know how far along you are in your planning but I would advise looking for "off the beaten path" type ideas that incorporate your uniqueness and fit your budget. At the end of the day, the girl who has a fairytale-type wedding is just as married as the girl who went to the courthouse. And the price of the wedding doesn't guarantee happiness in the marriage. It's the *marriage* that counts! Don't let your special day be ruined over money (the root of all evil, truly!!!). Try to just relax and realize that all that matters is that you're getting married to the love of your life. :smile:

Best wishes.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    just wanted to pop in and say that , i too am an emotional eater. one thing i try to do is ask what it is i really need before i eat whatever it is. if I can meet that need by calling a friend , walking, getting a hug, snuggling , working out then i do that instead. if not... i have at it
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I have been doing really well since I began (2 weeks), but today I crashed my car, (and started my period) and so I decided to have a 850 calorie burrito for dinner from my (old) favorite place. (A burrito named "Godzilla". Ugh)

I did substitute low fat sour cream and cheese, does that make it a little better?

So I ended up going over on calories by 400, my question is this... since the deficit that is built in for me is 500, does that mean that today I only had a net 100 cal deficit?

And does that mean I won't necessarily gain weight off of this, but just "stall" for today, so that I can get right back on track tomorrow?

Tell me YES.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    maybe. sounds logical
  • suprjewels
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I have been doing really well since I began (2 weeks), but today I crashed my car, (and started my period) and so I decided to have a 850 calorie burrito for dinner from my (old) favorite place. (A burrito named "Godzilla". Ugh)

I did substitute low fat sour cream and cheese, does that make it a little better?

So I ended up going over on calories by 400, my question is this... since the deficit that is built in for me is 500, does that mean that today I only had a net 100 cal deficit?

And does that mean I won't necessarily gain weight off of this, but just "stall" for today, so that I can get right back on track tomorrow?

Tell me YES.
    If you click the complete this day button you'll know for sure. MFP will tell you how you are doing.