Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Man, I sucked at that.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    No offense, but while this quiz may be fun, the information is completely bogus.

I would not believe any "information" provided by WebMD when it comes to nutrition. They do NOT take into account individual differences in metabolism! Some people need more protein (and other macronutrients) than others. Look at the diversity that's present in the human genome. There's no possible way that any one-size-fits-all set of recommendations can be appropriate for everyone. I have no respect for the common sense or the research skills of anyone (including the folks at WebMD) who pretend that any one set of guidelines will work for every person. It's simply not true.

For another thing, they put too much stock in the US recommended levels of nutrients, especially carbs, which are heavily influenced by the corn & wheat lobbies and are generally set WAY too high. Humans evolved (homo sapiens first shows up in the fossil record) around 500,000 years ago. But we have only been cultivating crops for around 6,000 years. So there's no way we could have eaten that many carbohydrates: for our first 490,000+ years, we were hunter-gatherers, living on meat, insects, vegetables & fruits, and there's no way we could have eaten more than the occasional handful of grains. We evolved to live on more protein, fewer carbs. In the 40 years since the US started recommending eating 6-8 servings of carbs a day, the US obesity rate has skyrocketed: that's not a coincidence.

Many people need MUCH more protein than the "recommended" levels. My doctor did a metabolism test to determine what was best for me, and now he has me eating no less than 300g protein a day.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    No offense, but while this quiz may be fun, the information is completely bogus.

Not entirely....
    I would not believe any "information" provided by WebMD when it comes to nutrition. They do NOT take into account individual differences in metabolism! Some people need more protein (and other macronutrients) than others. Look at the diversity that's present in the human genome.

The diversity in the human genome is related to many, many, many parts of our physiology. Everyone needs different nutrient balances because everyone lives a different life. Genetic differences probably have relatively little to do with what nutrients each person needs to survive.
    There's no possible way that any one-size-fits-all set of recommendations can be appropriate for everyone. I have no respect for the common sense or the research skills of anyone (including the folks at WebMD) who pretend that any one set of guidelines will work for every person. It's simply not true.

That why they call 'em guidelines. They are meant to be 'one size fits all' because otherwise no one would be able to remember what they are. Guidelines are an appropriate starting point onto which we can all build our own personal variants. Researchers work pretty damn hard to pin down the essentials of nutrition, and assume that an educated public will amend those as needed. It's supposed to be a cooperative, not combative, interaction of the two groups. Scientists, by and large, are not out to screw the public over by making inappropriate recommendations.
    For another thing, they put too much stock in the US recommended levels of nutrients, especially carbs, which are heavily influenced by the corn & wheat lobbies and are generally set WAY too high.

Yep, totally agree with the lobbyist effect here. Again, people should amend those guidelines as they see fit. I eat a very high-carb diet, it works for me. Not for everyone.
    Humans evolved (homo sapiens first shows up in the fossil record) around 500,000 years ago. But we have only been cultivating crops for around 6,000 years. So there's no way we could have eaten that many carbohydrates: for our first 490,000+ years, we were hunter-gatherers, living on meat, insects, vegetables & fruits, and there's no way we could have eaten more than the occasional handful of grains. We evolved to live on more protein, fewer carbs.

Sure, but this doesn't mean that carbohydrates are inherently bad. Most vegetables and fruits contain plenty of carbohydrates. Humans evolved as omnivores, and eating carbohydrates is a part of that. The evolution argument is a fairly weak one - we didn't evolve eating cooked foods, either, but cooking food was a great step forward for humans, because it permits a more consistent food supply and expands nutrient availability compared with raw-only, among other factors. I could add numerous other examples...
    In the 40 years since the US started recommending eating 6-8 servings of carbs a day, the US obesity rate has skyrocketed: that's not a coincidence.

It may be, it may not be. But there is no evidence that carbohydrates caused the obesity epidemic. It is correlative, if that.
    Many people need MUCH more protein than the "recommended" levels. My doctor did a metabolism test to determine what was best for me, and now he has me eating no less than 300g protein a day.

Back to the 'guidelines' point again... Some people need more protein than others, sure. But most Americans eating the SAD are getting a sufficient or excessive amount of protein.

Sorry to be critical, but to claim this information in its entirety is 'completely bogus' is not true.
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Your Score: 88% You correctly answered 15 out of 17 questions.