Serving Size - Dry or Cooked???

Options
Yes, that is my question. One I've had before and one I'm still confused about. I just made some spaghetti and the box said the serving size is 2 oz. So I weighed out 2 oz. on my new scale and cooked it all by itself. So, for giggles, I weighed it after it was cooked and it weighed 7 oz. So, I started taking the noodles off the scale until I got it down to 2 oz. and there was hardly no noodles in the bowl at all. I mean, less than a 1/4 cup. So, once again I am wondering if the serving size is before or after cooking. I wish they would specify in the serving size which it is.

Anyone know???

Replies

• PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Yes, that is my question. One I've had before and one I'm still confused about. I just made some spaghetti and the box said the serving size is 2 oz. So I weighed out 2 oz. on my new scale and cooked it all by itself. So, for giggles, I weighed it after it was cooked and it weighed 7 oz. So, I started taking the noodles off the scale until I got it down to 2 oz. and there was hardly no noodles in the bowl at all. I mean, less than a 1/4 cup. So, once again I am wondering if the serving size is before or after cooking. I wish they would specify in the serving size which it is.

Anyone know???
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    dry weight !!!!!!!!!

here in the uk they actualy say it on the package ...
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Dry.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    lol, I had this problem not too long ago.... I though man! if they mean 2oz cooked then I mise-well not eat pasta at all! Even for a person having been used to 1200 calories a day that is not enough food for dinner! :smile:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    boy am I glad its dry! I was fixing to starve if I had to have 2 oz. cooked angel hair. :bigsmile:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I didn't see your thread and I reposted one. I also had pasta tonight. I thought about the 2 oz too and its enough to make you mad. I also have a Calorie King calorie fat & carbohydrate counter book and it said that 1 cup of cooked pasta is 225 calories and 1.5 fat grams. Hope that helps you too!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    one more reason not to eat pasta unless you are running marathons or the fat ole italian woman look
    is what you are going for

pasta is a great meal but you have to pay the price...it isnt worth it usually
    eat pasta then the next day burn an extra 500 calories or it turns to fat

good luck
    Dave
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    pasta is a great meal but you have to pay the price...it isnt worth it usually
    eat pasta then the next day burn an extra 500 calories or it turns to fat

Yep... For that reason, I only eat pasta in the form of a frozen meal, so I know exactly how much I'm eating! My favorite: Amy's Pesto Tortellini. 430 calories and filling enough for a whole dinner.