What is the best exercise to lose your stomach??

Options
I have lost close to 20lbs and I notice it every except my stomach....I am really not liking the way I look ugh! Any tips on exercises that will help slim my stomach down? I been doing sit ups?? Any tips will help. Thanks!

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The food and exercises that reduce your overall body fat %.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Yeah unfortunately no matter what 'Abs of steel' says you can not spot tone one area. You can lose fat overall but not in one spot specifically.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Pushing away from the table ;D

But seriously. Can't spot lose. It will come from overall weight loss.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i would say its hard to drop it in one area........... the body stores it everywhere !

just keep getting your food right, and doing some work outs and it will happen. its not a race
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    caloric deficits
  • AddA2UDE
    Options
    It can be hard to "see" too. I had no idea there was a difference until I took another picture and put them side-by-side. I was pretty surprised to say the least. No one around me had noticed either because it happens so slowy. I started measuring my midsection once every three weeks. It has become easier to "notice" that way. Just keep doing what you are doing with the mindset that it isn't going to happen overnight. A year from now, you will be happy with that picture compared with the beginning one.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. There are no exercises that will cause your body to just lose stomach fat. You can exercise your abs all day long and what you will be doing (other than injuring yourself) is make your abs stronger (until you injure yourself), but that will not burn the fat around it. Ab muscles are like any other muscle, you work them in moderation or you risk injury.

Your body burns fat in all areas. For women, the last bastion of fat comes off of your butt and stomach. For men it's purely the belly. (this is typical for 9 out of 10 or so people, I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule)

If you want to lose your stomach you must:

1) burn more calories than you take in. This requires at the very least controlling your food and at best practice combined with cardio exercise and strength training.

Good luck.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    For some women, the belly is the hardest place to lose (especially if you're an 'apple') Keep doing what you're doing and eventually the belly will reduce to. Nothing can spot-reduce. Ab exercises will build up the muscles underneath, but won't get rid of the fat and for short term could also give the impression of being bigger because there is more bulk Watch your soda /alcohol /sodium intake because that can make your belly look bigger.
  • sjdennis45
    Options
    I've always been told you have to do Cardio as well as sit-ups, crunches, and other core exercises. There is no way to only target your stomach though.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose my belly until I dropped the carbs (I don't eat grains, flours, sugars including most fruit, legumes and don't drink milk) and upped my fat. When I went Primal my belly went away for the first time in my life and I still had overall bodyfat loss. There's a reason they call it a "carb belly" (a beer belly is exactly that: a carb belly)

But, no you can't spot reduce. Wouldn't it be nice, though?
  • Shawnta27
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone...I will just continue to work out and watch my foods..I knew this journey wasnt going to be easy. So I just have to focus on my goals!! Thanks again!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I use one of those sauna belts around my waist whilst I'm exercising, it does make that area sweat a bit more and I've lost 4" of my waist and 8 " from around my tummy when managed a week intensive exercise session everyday and sweating loads. I also wore bin liner under clothes to make me sweat more.

I'm down one jeans size (from 20's to 18's) and can get 16's on and fastened but they still a bit tight around my tummy, so could do to lose another few inches before they are comfy to wear all day.

Hoping to be wearing them for xmas day.. comfortably... with a little wiggle room! :wink:
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    Options
    Anyone know if diet soda is bad for getting rid of your belly?

I initially lost like 2 belt sizes when I lost my first 20 lbs, but have only really lost like 3/4 of a belt size on my next 20 pounds, and am wondering if this could be because I drink too many diet sodas.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    remember, weightloss is 80% food and 20% exercise, you have to make sure that your diet is in check to lose. Everyone has a different one that works for them, low carb, high carb, vegan, atkins, clean, convenience, whatever. It has to be something that works for you, you can live with, keeps you full, reasonably satisfies your cravings, gives you a consistent caloric defecit, and fuels you body.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I use one of those sauna belts around my waist whilst I'm exercising, it does make that area sweat a bit more and I've lost 4" of my waist and 8 " from around my tummy when managed a week intensive exercise session everyday and sweating loads. I also wore bin liner under clothes to make me sweat more.

I'm down one jeans size (from 20's to 18's) and can get 16's on and fastened but they still a bit tight around my tummy, so could do to lose another few inches before they are comfy to wear all day.

Hoping to be wearing them for xmas day.. comfortably... with a little wiggle room! :wink:

Actually, last I heard this is not suggested. you don't lose fat this way, just water weight, as in you drink a glass of water and you gain it all back. these results aren't from use of some sort of piece of clothing (which you could have duct taped some glad wrap around you) they're from working hard.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It seems to work for me, if I do routine in afternoon without these on I don't even break a sweat.. if I do it first thing on empty stomach... like this morning got up at 4.30am and did 90 mins.... i measured after I've lost another half inch off my waist and another inch off my tummy.

Also I can feel myself getting hotter within 10 mins of starting exercising and I really sweat much more and don't get these results any other time of the day.. I've tried the same routine at different times of day and with and without the bin liner and sauna belt and with both on early morning. I get hotter quicker and sweat more and really feel as if I've had a workout.

Hopefully I'm burning off some of those fat stores doing it on empty stomach. The body fat scales has shown my body fat number going down since June when I got them. My water was high today but the bloat has started as monthlies are due first week of october... so I'll not weight again until a week after they end as I find that's when I seem to be at my lowest weight... it seems to take my body a while to get rid of the water stored after my monthly cycle!

I'm hoping if I can keep up the diet and exercise throughout the next 2 weeks, once the water has come off the scales will show a loss... but the inches seem to be coming off even though the pounds are slow to melt!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce. We lose fat from all over places & usually the hips, thighs & the belly fat are the most stubborn part of our body when it comes to losing fat. All you need to do is to continue with your cardio & strength training combo. Just hang in there & soon it will come off.