ADD medication and caffeine

alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
edited October 2 in Chit-Chat
Hi,

Anyone out there take Focalin XR? Apparently Focalin is kinda like adderall, but not as strong. I have problems studying and focusing so my friend gave me one to try. I just wanted to see if it helps me before I go through the trouble of going to the doctor.

Anyway, I took it half an hour ago and I am tired. I normally consume at least one energy drink per day, and I feel like I want one. Is it dangerous for me to take one, or half of one? The pill I took was only 10 mg, the lowest dosage they make.

** I don't need any comments about how I shouldn't take my friend's medication. I know it isn't recommended and technically not legal, but I do feel that I have a problem with concentration and focus. Plus I only took one and its not like I am trying to get high, I am just trying to fix a problem that I have.**

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Is that a type of medication that you need to take consistently to begin to see a change? Like anti-depressants need a few weeks to start 'kicking in'? Or is it the kind where you take it when you need it like a pain relief?

I did read there is a 5mg dose as well.

Food Interactions: Avoid alcohol.
    Take on empty stomach: 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
    Avoid excessive quantities of coffee or tea (Caffeine).

I suppose one energy drink would not bother you, especially if you sipped it and did not down it all at once.
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    well if your trying to fix a problem you have go to your doctor! what if you were to have a serious side effect from it.
  • alecta337
    Its the kind to have an effect immediately.

I have an exam tomorrow that I am hoping this will help me study for.
  • alecta337
    well if your trying to fix a problem you have go to your doctor! what if you were to have a serious side effect from it.

*roll eyes*

I have done way worse and way stronger drugs... this isn't going to kill me

I just wanted to know from someone who takes this or a similar medication if they ever take caffeine and if they have problems with it
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    you have to build it up in you. i had to go all the way up to 54 mg of mine for it to work.
    :]

sometimes i drink coffee with it, it really dosnt matter. it is seriously not a big deal. and people on here who want to yell at me can shut up. even a dr wont be able to tell you if drinking caffeine with your drug will do anything because its your body and every body reacts differently. you did the right thing by drinking half only, but to tell you the truth 10mg is for minor problems not studdying for exams. it really did nothing for me when i started at 10.

i dont think older people realize that adderal in college is seen being traded on a daily bassis. not saying thats a good thing, its just really common. the side effects are minimal especilly if you have a clean bill of health. if she went to the dr and told them she had a problem she would leave with the pills. they really give them out like that.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    well ur a idot to be taking chances like that.

lmao if she went into a dr and said she had problems concentrating she would leave the office with whatever she sugested she wanted in her hand. adderall concerta etc etc.
  • xHelloQuincyx

“the stimulant drug side effects include decreased appetite or weight loss, sleep disruption, and exacerbation of anxiety"

nothing life threatening unless she has a heart murrmor
  • sandyw127
    yes i know what the side effects are my daughter takes adhd meds. thank you
  • sandyw127
    check your facts my daughter was on ritalin and focalin and it made her extremely violent with in 2 days of taking the meds.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    check your facts my daughter was on ritalin and focalin and it made her extremely violent with in 2 days of taking the meds.

no need to get defensive. she was looking up side effects, not saying you didn't know. we're all friends here :)
This discussion has been closed.