Veggie Straws

Options
Hi, my friend recommended Veggie Straws as a way to get my daughter to eat more vegetables. I have not tried them yet but want to get some. Was thinking this would be a good snack for work as well. Has anyone tried them? Anyone have an opinion on flavor? Likes or dislikes? Would welcome the input.

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I've tried them. They don't have a whole lot of taste to them, but I'm not a very picky eater. I'll eat almost anything with a few exceptions. Maybe you'll think differently.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I like veggie straws and while they are nutritionally better than doritoes and chips, they aren't exactly a way to "get your vegetables".
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Veggie Straws are yummy, but basically a somewhat healthier cracker or chip. It's not in any way going to teach your child to eat her veggies. The only thing that will do that is repetition, repetition, repetition - serve a fruit and/or veggie with every meal. Cut them in different shapes, offer small cups of different dips, choose a wide variety of colors and textures, serve them raw and cooked. Encourage or insist (whichever works in your family) that she try at least one bite before she can be done. I've worked with a wide variety of kids, and the parents who indulge their kids - pick veggies out of casseroles, cut of crusts, count fruit snacks as fruit, etc - have the pickiest eaters, while the parents who remain calm, positive and matter of fact - "This is dinner. Please try a bite of everything." - have the kids who are most willing to try new things.

That being said, Veggie Straws are better than chips. The Mac and Cheese with veggies is better than regular mac and cheese. The Barilla Piccollini with veggies is better than regular pasta (I love, love, love the mini farfalle with tomatoes and carrots). It does add extra nutrition, especially potassium and vit. A, where some kids (and parents) might otherwise be lacking.
  • mfastdriver123
    Options
    With my daughter I'm willing to try anything to supplement. She eats her veggies with ketchup. Its very hard to get her to eat more than tomatos and green beans. For me, I love veggies. Looking for more cold veggies to bring to work. Don't mind heating them up but then they get cold if I get stuck on the phone. lol.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The plain veggie straws don't have alot of flavor as was said by some other replies. But, they do have different flavored ones for a variety of tastes. I like the Spicy variety (which I only found once, grrr). I think they have pizza and some other flavors too. Haven't wanted to check those out. I would agree, they are a snack (better than chips, etc) but not a "replacement for veggies".
  • mfastdriver123
    Options
    I agree and do make her eat at least 4 or 5 of whatever veggie is being served with the meal (except peas. more peas than that). Figure if she tries the straws and likes them then i will serve them to her as well as the reg. vegetables.
  • jdub1011
    jdub1011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider V8 Fusion juice. One can contains 1 full serving each of vegetables and fruit. It actually tastes good. My boys like the blueberry/pomegranate flavor (100 cal., 25gm carbs, 0 fat, 0 protein). On the other hand one serving of Veggie Straws contain 130 cal (60 cal from fat), 15gm carbs, 7gm fat, 1gm protein, But here's the kicker - 0% vitamin A, 0% calcium, 2% iron, 2% vitamin C. Another case of great marketing and confusion about foods that are "good for you."
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider V8 Fusion juice. One can contains 1 full serving each of vegetables and fruit. It actually tastes good. My boys like the blueberry/pomegranate flavor (100 cal., 25gm carbs, 0 fat, 0 protein). On the other hand one serving of Veggie Straws contain 130 cal (60 cal from fat), 15gm carbs, 7gm fat, 1gm protein, But here's the kicker - 0% vitamin A, 0% calcium, 2% iron, 2% vitamin C. Another case of great marketing and confusion about foods that are "good for you."

I agree with this one! This is the way my sister sneaks in veggies is with the V8 Fruit Fusion....my neice and nephew LOVE IT! They are 7 and 3.
  • mfastdriver123
    Options
    I've seen commercials for this. I think I will try it. :D Thats just wrong for them to advertise like that for Veggie Straws.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I love them!!!
    the "sea salt" flavored ones kind of taste like original pringles to me.