question about pasta

Options
renae77
renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
Ok I have a calorie book and I am also looking on the back of the pasta package. I want to know if when it is cooked the calories go down. I know the serving is bigger because the water makes it swell. In the calorie book the numbers are different than the package.
On the package 2 oz is 210 calories and in the book 2 oz cooked is 64 calories. So which one do I use? I am wanting to count the calories right! Thanks!

Replies

• renae77
    Options
    Ok I have a calorie book and I am also looking on the back of the pasta package. I want to know if when it is cooked the calories go down. I know the serving is bigger because the water makes it swell. In the calorie book the numbers are different than the package.
    On the package 2 oz is 210 calories and in the book 2 oz cooked is 64 calories. So which one do I use? I am wanting to count the calories right! Thanks!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When in doubt I go with the bigger number. :sad:
  • renae77
    Options
    looking in the database on here it looks like cooked pasta is less. 2 oz is only 1/4 a cup of pasta and if that is all i can eat then i am gonna starve to death! that isn't even enough to satisfy anything. it's just enough to piss me off.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer to this too. I read somwhere that one cup cooked is 2 oz. raw.........and thats what I have been having and I'm loosing even though I had pasta every night for dinner so I suspect its close...but Í really dont know. I use the cals on my package.
  • stephiepoo
    Options
    I also heard 2 oz raw is 1 cup cooked and that is what I have been using.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I don't weigh out dry pasta I simply do a cupful when it's cooked....easy peasy!

I'm with stephiepoo on this one.... 2 oz dry = 1 cup cooked
  • renae77
    Options

I don't weigh out dry pasta I simply do a cupful when it's cooked....easy peasy!

yea the calories ended up being right about that so yep!!
    30301196.gif
    Look FC I got it!!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    pasta weighs more cooked and is bigger due to water gain which adds no calories so that 2/3 cup becomes almost doubled when cooked and so a 2/3 cup cooked serving will be less calories due to water absorption. Same with ounces- got to account for the water weight in cooked pasta. See even pasta has water weight! LOL! :drinker:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The package...the producers of the product HAVE to put the correct ingredients and calories for the pasta. The book is just giving a general estimation.
    2 oz of pasta dry is 1 cup cooked. I always weigh mine and it always comes out to a cup.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

30301196.gif
    Look FC I got it!!
    I see you have found the golden key on how to add smilies!! YAY...fun times eh?:bigsmile: Good for you, I loved the one I saw earlier too when I glanced in the purple thread and it was the one doing pushups!:laugh: :laugh: Too cute.

Have a great night Renae...enjoy the spagetti:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • renae77
    Options

30301196.gif
    Look FC I got it!!
    I see you have found the golden key on how to add smilies!! YAY...fun times eh?:bigsmile: Good for you, I loved the one I saw earlier too when I glanced in the purple thread and it was the one doing pushups!:laugh: :laugh: Too cute.

Have a great night Renae...enjoy the spagetti:drinker:

FC:heart:
    Thank ya!! To be honest it wasn't very good! I made it with 99% fat free ground turkey breast and I really didn't like it. I tried healthy and it wasn't what I wanted. No more pasta for me!