Insulin Resistance

Options
2»

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I had this and was on the same drug.

Diet & exercise fixed me.

Lay off the sugary foods and drinks is the easiest.

Also did this & it worked. I'm on the same boat as you, being a type 2 diabetic & was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago.
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    save for reference
  • irdietinfo
    Options
    As everyone else here has been saying, dietary changes can really help. You just have to be willing to try a different approach!
  • Stephie_W
    Stephie_W Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with IR and the dreaded carbs and sugars, so I'm posting to save this thread for future reference.

Thanks everyone for all the good information.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm also insulin resistant, not due to PCOS but type ii diabetes. I strongly suggest you have your doctor refer you to a registered dietician who specializes in diabetes. I have switched everything 'white' to whole grain. I wasn't a big sweetie eater, but I've adjusted how I cook to eliminate sugar and salt. Embrace low GI foods (there are several sites with lists/recipes) and incorporate fiber in to your diet. I was put on Victoza injections, max dose once a day and 1000 mg of metformin twice a day. The RD upped my calories to 1500 a day as I wasn't eating enough, advised me to eat 45-60 grams of whole grain/vegetable carbs per meal and drink at least 15 glasses of water a day. I find adding ground flax to yougurt helps with getting fiber, and I use wheat and oat bran for a good part of flour when baking. I've also switched to whole grain flours and use stevia or splenda. Basically if I have to buy something in a box or tin I read the labels and if it had sugar, a lot of sodium or something I can't pronounce I leave it on the shelf. I also find planning my meals helps me keep track, and I'll fix a roast and bake on the weekends so I'm not scrambling to make meals.

I lost 26 pounds in three months with light exercise; at that visit my doctor had taken me off the metformin and reduced the Victoza. WIth the weight loss my RD has tweaked out the carbs to 116 grams or under daily and upped my protein since I'm now able to work out more. I'm losing a pound a week steadily. I've reduced my A1c to 5.7 (considered pre-diabetic) and I expect to come off the Victoza at my next check up as I hopefully will not be considered diabetic any longer. However I will have to be vigilant to continue losing and then maintain my goal weight so my body continues to use insulin efficiently.
  • lelasutt
    lelasutt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I"m really glad i found this thread. I"m currently going thru multiple tests, but my doctor believes with my medical history that PCOS is whats going on with me. I go back to the doctor next week, and am anxious to find some answers. Its difficult to stay motivated when you track your calories and are exercising every day, and then your weight never seems to budge. I also have hypothyroidism, and know my weight loss will be slower than most people. Thanks for all the food suggestions, i sometimes have a hard time adding variety to my meals.

7820655.png
  • Cinbeth
    Cinbeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I too have PCOS and am insulin resistent. Mixing the carbs and protein has helped me in the past and I have fallen off the wagon lately and I am feeling really encouraged again. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, its nice to know I am not alone and we can all help each other!
  • irdietinfo
    Options
    My whole website is full of information on this way of eating (and I have a Facebook page too). Reducing refined carbs works for me and for many other people!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    From a healthcare standpoint, metformin really should be taken with food so that its less reactant to your system. Most patients I recall having always took it on an empty stomach in the morning - hence the drastic lower abdominal 'activity'.... Then there are those patients who like me - who DO take it with food, who still react.

Yes, there is an adjustment phase to taking metformin... My body actually was HORRIBLE on 2000mg per day, I told the Endo that and agreed that 1000mg was better.

Dietary changes with the usage of metformin in Insulin Resistance/Metabolic X Syndrome and PCOS patients has had great results... but metformin is not always friendly with everyone even after trying to get used to it.

Thats a good situation to bring up with your doctor who prescribed it to see if your unique situation bears more thorough evaluation....