Fitbit

Options
Is anybody using the Fitbit? If so, how is it working?

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I used it, and it worked great. But, I ended up washing (and drying) it twice, and now I can't get it to charge. So, I won't be using it anymore. :( But, I really only used it to double check the calorie burn on the machines at the gym and what MFP says (both are very wrong).
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Don't have it but wish for it. They don't ship outside USA and Canada.
  • inspiration345
    Options
    I used it, and it worked great. But, I ended up washing (and drying) it twice, and now I can't get it to charge. So, I won't be using it anymore. :( But, I really only used it to double check the calorie burn on the machines at the gym and what MFP says (both are very wrong).
    Wow can you elaborate on the differences?
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have Fitbit and LOVE it. It does ship to Canada and USA from amazon.com. It is a great little thing. Logs steps, calories, sleep patterns and the website allows you to log food as well. I prefer MFP for logging my food however. I like how the flower grows as you become more active. When my flower gets smaller it motivates me to move around more. I sit at a desk and answer phones all day, so the flower can be helpful to get my butt in gear and get motivated. I also love the step tracking, i get excited when i get above 10 thousand steps a day!

Hope this helps a little....
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've had one since January and still wear it every day. They have a very robust website at no cost, but I did upgrade to the premium membership for $50/year. As part of premium membership, there is a 12 week challenge that works your activity level up slowly over that period of time to move you to the next level of fitness. I love this, it gives me a goal to shoot for every day. But you still get a lot of reporting capabilities using the free membership. I log all my food here and then enter one overall entry into their food diary at night. I do still use my HRM for workouts and use that number here in the exercise diary.

Their customer service is fantastic, I broke my USB cable and they shipped me a new one at no cost. There is a 1 yr warranty on the FitBit itself and I just got that replaced because mine cracked (again, at no cost). I would highly recommend one, especially if you are into fitness gadgets.
  • inspiration345
    Options
    Thanks Goforkissy and Cynthials. Now I really want to buy one.
  • nilesbollinger
    nilesbollinger Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've had one since January and still wear it every day. They have a very robust website at no cost, but I did upgrade to the premium membership for $50/year. As part of premium membership, there is a 12 week challenge that works your activity level up slowly over that period of time to move you to the next level of fitness. I love this, it gives me a goal to shoot for every day. But you still get a lot of reporting capabilities using the free membership. I log all my food here and then enter one overall entry into their food diary at night. I do still use my HRM for workouts and use that number here in the exercise diary.

Their customer service is fantastic, I broke my USB cable and they shipped me a new one at no cost. There is a 1 yr warranty on the FitBit itself and I just got that replaced because mine cracked (again, at no cost). I would highly recommend one, especially if you are into fitness gadgets.

Is your HRM much more accurate than the fitbit for exercising? I'm thinking of getting a fitbit OR and HRM and trying to decide which one would benefit me more.
  • chunkyb
    chunkyb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The HRM I imagine will be more accurate. The Fitbit calculates calories based on steps and intensity (running vs walking). It doesn't account for your current fitness level or heart rate. I don't know how accurate the FitBit is at calculating calories, especially burned during activites like weightlifting, swimming, biking, etc.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit and used it for a few months then returned it. Really, it wasn't tracking any of my real exercises; I do spin class at the gym, and lift heavy things, and do the stair mill and elliptical. None of that tracked with the Fitbit. I had to enter it and FitBit's website estimated my calorie burn. That's the only reason I returned it. Otherwise, it's cool to see how active you are throughout the day. And when you/ if you wake up at night. Also, as a teacher, I saw that a day in the classroom equalled 4 miles of walking!!! (Wow, talk about a lot of moving and going nowhere!!)

I got mine at REI and used the member's 20% off special that comes out every once in a while.
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ok so what exactly is a Fitbit and how does it compare to the bodybugg from 24hr fitness? Im hearing good andbad things on here and are wondering what it is and if it does compare to that. I know when I wore the bodybugg it was much more accurate and the cals burned were about a third of what the machines say which is so disheartening but man was it nice to see the truth. We dont burn nearly what the machines say. I ma interested in this fitbit...someone please tell more :)