For those facing financial strain...how do you eat healthy?

Options
13»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Supposedly frozen veggies are even more nutritious than fresh because they're frozen immediately after picking, locking in all the nutrients instead of losing them over time. =)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Supposedly frozen veggies are even more nutritious than fresh because they're frozen immediately after picking, locking in all the nutrients instead of losing them over time. =)

ah...not sure they're better than fresh, but they are better than canned veggies for sure.

edit: wow, I looked this up and you're quite right. It depends on where you buy them and how long they've been sitting around, but its possible...go figure! My grocery store has the world's worst produce, so I prefer to hit the roadside stands when possible, then shop around at various produce markets in our area (we're fortunate to have a lot of them in the general area, and some are quite cheap if willing to drive a few extra miles)
  • bstilland
    bstilland Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ***bump****
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Watch what's on sale; when seasonal fruits & veggies drop in price, when meats (including fish & poultry) go on sale, when staples go on sale. Then stock up on those items that can be frozen, canned, or pre-cooked and frozen or canned.

If you have a few extra square feet ANYwhere, a small chest freezer is your friend. We got our 7 cu. ft. freezer on Craigslist for $50. It's now on our back porch, but was originally in the dining room when we had a 1 bd apartment for 2 adults and a baby. Being able to buy when it's on sale (vs. when we have room) has saved us a ton of money over the last couple of years.

Totally agree!! Depending if your a picky eater..which I have those people in my household..haha..I am not picky..so I eat whatever is in season, buy meat on sale, freeze a ton...which we love chicken here..so, its easy..and with the holidays coming up chicken and turkey will be up for sale..woohoo! Staples, such as rice and pasta are easily on sale at this time as well..lol, celebrations coming up, of course..just need to make a grocery list and plan ahead prior to going to the store.. make a meal plan for the week/month..and buy according to when you need to or able to..that way its faster and easier...

Check out www.allrecipes.com as it also helps you make a grocery list and menu planning..its great..love that site! Hope this helps! :wink:
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    We make healthy foods our priority. We don't spend much going out to movies or attractions, and we shop sales. There are a few name brands we are loyal to (Kashi, Laughing Cow to name a few) but normally we buy store brands. I'd say 90% of our shopping trip is fresh fruits/vegetables, meats, and dairy.

It's totally doable.. we survive on one, very modest income.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    They key to saving (imo) is to identify cheap sources of protein. Lentils, beans, quinoa, brown rice, eggs, low fat pork chops, etc.

Also, buy in bulk. Find a quality spice store, and get only a pinch of a spice you know you won't use much of instead of springing for a whole jar at $5.99 at the supermarket. Seriously...how often do I use marjoram? Grow herbs in your garden, and you'll have a cost-effective way to add flavor to boring meals.

You can usually get grains in bulk too. It's a cheap way to avoid eating the same thing for a week straight. For beans, go with the dried variety, as they keep better and are typically much cheaper than canned.

If you buy salad greens, shy away from the red leaf varieties, as they spoil faster. Alternatively, buy a small amount of the red leaf variety to add to regular greens.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local food co-op you could join? I also buy at my local farmers market. Both of these sources are cheaper then buying at my local grocery chains. You really don't need to buy all organic foods. EWG.org has a list of foods with the most / least amount of pesticides in them. I am on a really tight budget (unemployed actually :grumble: ) and reference this list when I am buying my fruits & veggies.

Here's the link to their list: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

HTH . . .
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I write a menu at the start of the fortnight and write down every thing I'll need for each food from that menu - then I go through my pantry and fridge and cross off everything I already have, then I take that list shopping and stick to it - cuts down the bill MASSIVELY and keeps me staying on track with what I'm eating.

I also try to eat less portion and keep the extra of my portion for lunch the next day - therefore using portion control and saving money by having a ready and healthy lunch waiting for me! :)