Gained Back Lost Weight but Feel Better Than Ever - strange?

Options
So I've steadily gained back 5-7 lbs in the last week or two, but I feel like I'm looking slimmer and I'm definitely in the best shape of my life. I'm wondering if it's possible if this weight gain is due to muscle increase?
The only thing that's changed in the last 2 weeks is that I've started to train for Warrior Dash and stepped up my exercise considerably - running at least every other day (around 2.5 miles, but I set a PR for distance a few days ago and went 4.2) and doing weights semi regularly (I'd been pretty lazy and irregular about working out for the preceding 3 weeks or so). It seems like that's a short period of time for weight gain due to muscle increase, but I can't think of another reason why I would have gained back that much weight when an increase in exercise is the only change in my lifestyle.
I'm not too discouraged because I'm not going for a set weight goal, but rather making a healthier lifestyle and seeing where that will get me, but it does seem pretty weird. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    muscle tearing cause water retention and muscle does weigh more than fat so, it's possible!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Consider Water Weight. If you've just started working out after having an off period, your body may be holding water to help repair the muscles as you work them.
    Also, how are you sleeping? Sometimes seasonal transitions can cause people to lose sleep. If you're working out more, you may need more rest than you did before.
    As long as you feel great and listen to your body, you'll do fine!
    (I know how you feel though! I'm aiming for a "goal weight range", but I'm happy as long as I'm healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes this means I lose 1 lb/month. Sometimes it means I lose inches, but gain a few. It is what it is.)
    One more thought - you might need to up your calories if you're burning more. :)
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Muscle, fat, steel, water all weigh THE SAME! A pound is a pound is a pound! But it may be water weight and what youve eaten. It could even be your scale being moved! Thing is check it next week same time and place. If scale changes it was water, if it stays the same you redistributed the muscle/fat into a better location.