If 7000 calories = 1kg

Options
I've always proudly requoted that dropping roughly 7000 calories will lose 1kg in weight. MFP uses a similar calculation and I've seen it working in practice, and then I had some peanuts....

On that peanut packet, it said 100g = 604 calories.
Now if 7000 calories gives 1000g
And I am always eating exactly my burn (i.e. putting on and losing not a single gram in weight)
Then 700 calories would theoretically make me put on 100g

So in my complete equilibrium, I pig out on 100g of these nuts, after waste disposal I will have gained somewhere around 90g
Eating 1.2kg would make me put on an entire kg in weight as it would equal the magic 7000 calorie number.

Sorry this is long winded.

So I deduced that 700 calories per 100g of anything must be the absolute maximum, eating 1kg of this thing will make me gain 1kg in weight because it's all energy and no waste....

And then I reached for the vegetable oil... 884 calories per 100g

If I drink 1kg of vegetable oil (and keep it in), I will ingest 8840 calories
Given that 7000 calories is 1kg, then 8840 = 1.3kg ...

So by drinking 1kg of oil, I would gain 1.3kg in weight. Which is impossible... where would the extra 300g in weight come from? When we convert food it doesn't get lighter or heavier, we only get heavier when we put things in, and lighter when we expel them.

In other words, the 7000 calorie per kg theory can't be true...

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    *head explodes*
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Human fat has a different density. 7000 sounds off to me though...

7716 is closer.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_pound.php

Oh, and the extra 300g from drinking the oil comes from human fat having water, blood, and blood vessels in it.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    *brain confetti everywhere*
  • mrshickey
    Options
    hmmmm, interesting. ive been told theres 3500 calories in a pound, 2.2lbs in a kilo. so thats over 7000 calories in 1kg. maybe thats where the extra comes from?
  • Nelly_J
    Options
    *head explodes*

^^^I concur
  • Yelocake
    Yelocake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had this thought process as well. When I bring it up, I have been told not to over analyze the name of the game. If looking to lose weight, just follow the path that MFP leaves and don't look back. It has worked for many and will hopefully work for you as well. Onward we must go. ;)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options

You're right. 1 kg is 7717 calories. And by the way, you're overthinking this.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Oh dear gawd the math! :noway:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    You just made mah brain hurt.....**goes to lay down**
  • mrshickey
    Options

You're right. 1 kg is 7717 calories. And by the way, you're overthinking this.

yh thas wt i thought, 7000 seemes a little low
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    HUH?
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    :explode:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

If I drink 1kg of vegetable oil (and keep it in)...

But why would you do this?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Because it is delicious and thirst quenching.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The number should be 7700 calories = 1kg. It's 3500 = 1 lb. and 1 lb = 2.2 kgs. 2.2 * 3500 = 7700.
  • Rimdeker
    Options
    It depends on what the 1kg consists of.

1 kcal is the energy you need to heat 1 l of water by 1 °C.

1 g fat = 9 kcals
    1 g protein = 4 kcals
    1 g of carbs = 4 kcals

So 1kg of oil being pretty close to 9000 kcals is actually right!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Because it is delicious and thirst quenching.

No, that would be Sprite...
  • Rimdeker
    Options
    It depends on what the 1kg consists of.

1 kcal is the energy you need to heat 1 l of water by 1 °C.

1 g fat = 9 kcals
    1 g protein = 4 kcals
    1 g of carbs = 4 kcals

So 1kg of oil being pretty close to 9000 kcals is actually right!

And yes, it means that you need to burn 9000 kcals to lose 1 kg of fat. However, if you actually do burn 9000 kcals, you'll notice that you have lost way more than just 1 kg, because no part of the body consists purely of fat.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that solar flares are freakin huge.
  • yodabeaumont
    Options
    Hi

'Calorie' is a measure of the energy content of food. 'Kg' is a unit of mass. Therefore they are not interchangeable.

Taking in 7000 calories of extra energy that the body doesn't need to function normally (that's your 2000-odd calories a day) means that this extra energy needs to be put somewhere. So the body uses the energy to make fat cells, or more specifically, make the pre-existing fat cells grow in size. So they take on water, and lipid molecules and whatever they need to grow in size. Therefore, what you are weighing is not the actual food that you have taken in, you are weighing the increase in fat cell mass, which has been provoked by taking in the extra calories.

This is why taking in pure protein makes you put on weight too. Protein contains energy, but absolutely no fat, which is burned and used to make fat cells grow, even though it contains no actual 'fat' at all.

The 7000 calorie to 1kg is a ratio which takes into the account the amount of fat cell growth provoked by taking in the energy contained in 7000calories.

Hope this isnt too confusing!

David