how many carbs are we susposed to eat a day?

Options
MOMOFTWO29
MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
I was just wondering how many carbs we are susposed to eat in a day?

Replies

• MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    I was just wondering how many carbs we are susposed to eat in a day?
  • SJK72
    SJK72 Posts: 10
    Options
    It really is diffrent for every body so talking to your doctor about it will be your best bet anyone else will just be guessing because they won't know your history.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Just go by what MFP tells you! I dont really focus on anything but calories and fats. I try not to go over on either. I don't so much worry if I am over on carbs or fiber or protein...but that's just me. i did the low carb thing a few times and I just got so cranky I couldn't stand it!

Good luck!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    thanks.
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It depends on how active you are. If you spend a lot of time running around or on your feet, then you need those carbs, and probably need a lot more than MFP lists. If you don't spend as much time exercising or your job doesn't require you to be on your feet a lot, you won't need as many carbs. Your body still needs them though! Carbs are great for you, but be sure to look for the good carbs instead of bad carbs. It's the same with everything, even fat and calories. If I eat something with good fats in it, I don't worry about it too much.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    oh, I am not doing a low carb diet, I was just wondering if I went over on them would I gain weight, but I haven't so far, I went over yesterday and I still lost a pound.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It depends on how active you are. If you spend a lot of time running around or on your feet, then you need those carbs, and probably need a lot more than MFP lists. If you don't spend as much time exercising or your job doesn't require you to be on your feet a lot, you won't need as many carbs. Your body still needs them though! Carbs are great for you, but be sure to look for the good carbs instead of bad carbs. It's the same with everything, even fat and calories. If I eat something with good fats in it, I don't worry about it too much.

I agree that it depends on your activity level, but MFP's values are 60% carbohydrates...no one really needs more than that even if they're on their feet all day. In fact, most of us don't need that with our current exercise regimen, but it's the RDA and the food pyramid is 50+ years old and no one's thought to change it since then even though it's obviously flawed. Eating more than 60% starts to cut into the minimum protein requirements, which MFP sets at the lowest possible level. The only nutrient I actually agree with is the fat set at 30%, but really I think a 25% fat and 20% protein split would be much more conducive to muscle repair. 50% carbohydrates is also plenty even for people who run regularly.

Just my .02. :bigsmile: