Need protein ideas

Options
So I have decided I am going to run a half marathon in a few months but training has been really kicking my butt. I realized I am almost always under on my protein (10-40 grams/day). I am looking for new ideas to add protein to my meals without seriously hurting calories. I am not vegetarian but only eat meat every 3-5 meals or so (partially because of cost). I know nuts, cheese, Greek yogurt, and beans and eat a lot of these but am looking for other (possibly higher protein) options. Also any ideas for protein powders other than shakes?
Thanks!

Replies

• tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I eat fat free cottage cheese because it is full of protein without all of the fat and calories. Also, I like to add protein power to my oatmeal. What an awesome goal and good luck!
  • nl1098
    nl1098 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cottage cheese, quinoa, chicken, fish (tuna, tilapia, salmon), protein bars, milk...
  • missladyfit
    missladyfit Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    try some tofu or an egg-white omelet!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i'm a veggie runner...check out my food diary!

best protein powder (hands down): optimum nutrition...cheap, yummy, no funky texture! french vanilla cream is my fav flavor because it can be mixed or eaten alone
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    All of the above + beans
  • Kyloo21
    Options
    Greek yoghurt.
  • kateandmandy
    Options
    Try Cliff bars!!! 20g in every bar!!! I have one after every workout. also muscle milk powder works good to. Good luck :):)
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    quinoa is GREAT!!! protein PACKED!! lentils....any kind of beans really is great. also low fat peanut butter is good....or almond butter is better
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If this is an option - costco sells large bags of frozen individually-wrapped chicken breasts that are relatively inexpensive compared to grocery stores chicken, and they appear good quality - great size, not too much fat. I'm sure less expensive than using protein powders or supplements.. Some grocery stores have similar items too. Just add a chicken breast to each dinner - lots of protein and very few calories. I season with paprika and pepper and cook in a pan with the tiniest amount of olive oil. Tastes great.
  • julie204
    Options
    hi why dont you try quinoa its a deliious alternate to rice and pasta it is superior to other grains because its a complete protien
    when cooked the grain is soft but the germ is crunchy you can use it in salads stews soups i cook it and add roasted veg and a bit of chicken garlic or herbs it says to allow 60 to 80 grams per person you can buy it at most health food shops or sainsbury sell it i hope this is helpful to you:smile: