phentermine...

Options
yay or nay??? share your success or failure stories please...

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If you eat right and exercise you will not need it.
  • Texas501
    Options
    Nay.
  • barleespringers
    Options

Fully agree!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Fully agree!!

^ me too! agreed!

cringing - you are opening a can of worms with this post
  • Kristin9902
    Kristin9902 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ive have been Rx'ed it in the past...lost about 10lbs but gained it back when I stopped taking it. So Im gonna say nah
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

if you have trouble controlling your appetite probably would not hurt as a crutch to get started till you learn to eat right.

oh i will warn you , you will get ripped apart by all the self righteous self proclaimed health gurus around here.

my opinion is ............................. WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

if you have trouble controlling your appetite probably would not hurt as a crutch to get started till you learn to eat right.

oh i will warn you , you will get ripped apart by all the self righteous self proclaimed health gurus around here.

my opinion is ............................. WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU

This....everyone is different....find what works for you
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Nay. All it does is make you not hungry. You basically starve yourself which isn't good and it's difficult to force feed yourself. After a while it doesn't work. It increases heart rate which for me made it impossible to get a good workout. Also I felt agitated a lot. The side effects suck and in my younger days I used meth and could not tolerate phentermine if that makes sense to you. If you eat right you can find food to help sustain hunger and you'll feel better. It in no way aids in weight loss except by making you feel unhungry. It wont help metabolism or anything. And when you stop taking it hunger comes back with a vengeance. I have two other friends that have taken it and still do but they don't exercise regularly and they too are somewhat put off by the side effects. Try without it and if you truly are not seeing ANY change after a while then talk to your doctor. Id still say nay.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Nay, you need to learn to walk without crutches...

That sounds so corny but y'all know how I mean it.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Oh for cryin out loud... This phone!!! Sorry for a double episode!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to say NAY. Losing weight and becoming healthy is about lifestyle change....eating healthy and excercise. You may lose weight while your on it, but as soon as you stop taking it you'll eat more and gain your weight back.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Also I see you're in a healthy bmi range and most doctors won't prescribe it unless you're at least overweight. And it's not recommended for long term use (I.e. less than 3 months generally) or your risks for high blood pressure I.creases.
  • jem728
    Options
    Nay.
  • jamiiiii
    Options
    It is a good tool to get started, but make sure not to let the appetite suppressant be the only thing you are using to lose weight. (It's really unhealthy to just not eat.) If you do use it, use it as an aide in a lifestyle change.

Use the lack of cravings for junk food as an opportunity to learn how to make awesome healthy food. Use the extra energy it gives you to find a workout routine that works for you. Once you come off the medication, be sure to stick with the healthy habits and avoid reverting to your old ways.

I think as long as you use it as a tool to building a healthier lifestyle, and not just as a way to keep yourself from eating, it can be a great tool for success. There is no magic pill that will make your body lose weight and keep it off. You need to be strong and motivated. Phentermine can be a good aide to help you get started with that by boosting your energy and lowering your appetite, but it isn't magic. Like any other stimulant it can have serious side effects, just be careful with it. :)
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    worked for me to get started kept weight off for 20 years - so I agree with others whatever works for you- but it still even with the pills = lifestyle change :smile:
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Nay, however, I do have a friend that is extremely overweight who is taking it right now. Her doctor put her on a strict 1200 calorie a day diet and added phen to help her along. She lost almost 20lbs in two weeks and has really changed her eating habits. I'm not sure how it will work when she is weaned off of it, but for a kickstart it has helped her alot. I hope that the eating habit change will make a difference once she is off of it.

However, if you're like me and eat when you're bored or upset, an appetite suppressant isn't going to stop you.

Good luck with whatever you decide!