insomnia?

Options
So... I have lost 36 lbs on MFP since about January. I am training for a half marathon next month, and a marathon in March/April. I like to consider myself a very stubborn and very determined lady, and once I put my mind to something, I accomplish it..... until....

I am a teacher, and I am totally gung-ho all about fitness and losing weight in the summer. I can eat what I want, when I want. I can go for an hour run, or go hiking, or hit the gym for 3 hours if I want to. I can stay up as late as I want, knowing that i can always sleep in the next day (although, my body clock wakes me up about 7am anyway).

So... this is the 4th week of teaching high school. My schedule gets thrown into a complete tizzy, where leaving the house at 6am and being home at 4pm is the norm. Plus there is always atleast an hour of grading papers to be smashed somewhere in between housework, dinner prep, clean up, watching a show or two, and spending time with friends/loved ones. Ya know, the normal "life" part most people take for granted.

I tried getting my running in the morning before work, but that just meant I had to get up at 3:45 am. I mean really, the SUN doesn't even wake up that early. I did it once, it felt fantastic, and then ever since then I hit snooze and snuggle my face back into my pillow, thinking "there's always after work". Well.... to further complicate my life, I now have not been sleeping more than about 4 hours per night for the last week or so. I have heard that exercising in the late afternoon or evening actually makes you stay awake, so I am hesitant to do that. I am so dang tired/mentally exhausted/physically exhausted, that I have done NO exercise at ALL since last Friday. I am supposed to be running 9 miles on Saturday, my longest run yet, and I don't think I could even do 3 right now.

Worse yet, I have gained SIX pounds in those days of not running.... I keep thinking food or even a nightcap will "take the edge off" and help me sleep. I've heard it all.... tea....baths....Tylenol PM.... All of it works long enough to PUT me to sleep, but not enough to KEEP me to sleep. I really hate using meds, but this is getting ridiculous. I have about 4 major life decisions I need to make in the next 8 months, and it is killing me. I don't even know what I am looking for with this post... advice? commiseration? someone to kick me in the *kitten*?

I guess just.... has this ever happened to you? Am I just being a total wuss and need to snap out of it? Or... what??? :(

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    So... I have lost 36 lbs on MFP since about January. I am training for a half marathon next month, and a marathon in March/April. I like to consider myself a very stubborn and very determined lady, and once I put my mind to something, I accomplish it..... until....

I am a teacher, and I am totally gung-ho all about fitness and losing weight in the summer. I can eat what I want, when I want. I can go for an hour run, or go hiking, or hit the gym for 3 hours if I want to. I can stay up as late as I want, knowing that i can always sleep in the next day (although, my body clock wakes me up about 7am anyway).

So... this is the 4th week of teaching high school. My schedule gets thrown into a complete tizzy, where leaving the house at 6am and being home at 4pm is the norm. Plus there is always atleast an hour of grading papers to be smashed somewhere in between housework, dinner prep, clean up, watching a show or two, and spending time with friends/loved ones. Ya know, the normal "life" part most people take for granted.

I tried getting my running in the morning before work, but that just meant I had to get up at 3:45 am. I mean really, the SUN doesn't even wake up that early. I did it once, it felt fantastic, and then ever since then I hit snooze and snuggle my face back into my pillow, thinking "there's always after work". Well.... to further complicate my life, I now have not been sleeping more than about 4 hours per night for the last week or so. I have heard that exercising in the late afternoon or evening actually makes you stay awake, so I am hesitant to do that. I am so dang tired/mentally exhausted/physically exhausted, that I have done NO exercise at ALL since last Friday. I am supposed to be running 9 miles on Saturday, my longest run yet, and I don't think I could even do 3 right now.

Worse yet, I have gained SIX pounds in those days of not running.... I keep thinking food or even a nightcap will "take the edge off" and help me sleep. I've heard it all.... tea....baths....Tylenol PM.... All of it works long enough to PUT me to sleep, but not enough to KEEP me to sleep. I really hate using meds, but this is getting ridiculous. I have about 4 major life decisions I need to make in the next 8 months, and it is killing me. I don't even know what I am looking for with this post... advice? commiseration? someone to kick me in the *kitten*?

I guess just.... has this ever happened to you? Am I just being a total wuss and need to snap out of it? Or... what??? :(
    Hi, I'm zara. Your not being a wuss! Not sleeping makes everything VERY hard! I have this problem loads. You sound like you may be depressed or anxious, with the big life decisions. 4 weeks is a long time when your not sleeping. Maybe see your doctor. Alcohol stops you from staying asleep. Have a horlicks and a bath at body tempreature just before bed, it helps. Most of all stop being so hard on yourself. Accept that you may not be able to do the big run, you will just do what you can and be proud that you tried your best. Its hard to accept your body can't do what you want it to, but you will burn yourself out in the long run. Seriously? I'd really go and see your doctor and talk stuff through with someone you love and trust, it does you the world of good! Hope it gets better soon! X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Meant to mention also, you need atleast 1 hour, better still 2 to wind down before bed, if I don't get atleast 1 hour I don't sleep. Make sure you get a hour chill out time, really helps loads. You can't go, go, go and then expect your body to just stop. Also stop exercising about 2 hours before bed atleast. I've done a lot of research lol x