Please help do I eat the Calories remaining to 0 out???

Options
I know this is probably a dumb question but have to ask I can't get a straight answer anywhere.
I have 326 "calories remaining", am I suppose/allowed to eat that???
I thought I was suppose to reduce my calories to 1200 a day but I've increased my exercises so now my log tonight says I have consumed 1152, burned 276 with 324 remaining. I get to eat that?????
Please straighten me out!!!

Replies

• aprilcarlson77
    aprilcarlson77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably a dumb question but have to ask I can't get a straight answer anywhere.
    I have 326 "calories remaining", am I suppose/allowed to eat that???
    I thought I was suppose to reduce my calories to 1200 a day but I've increased my exercises so now my log tonight says I have consumed 1152, burned 276 with 324 remaining. I get to eat that?????
    Please straighten me out!!!
  • chelseachick
    Options
    You can eat them if you want /are hungry or you can leave them and they'll help you loose weights faster. It's your choice - just don't starve yourself.
  • shellnae
    shellnae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thats my question too. I just got all set up on this site and it's telling me I have all these calories to use. Is it healthier to consume what you are given, or just stay under?
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Please read this topic post... it has all the answers and really helped me out to understand

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    First, read the newbie thread on the general message board.

Second, eat your calories! It keeps your metabolism moving and losing weight.

The newbie post will explain it better than me. :flowerforyou:
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    First, make sure you're eating at least 1200 calories a day. Then look at WHAT you've eaten. Have you had 6 servings of vegatables and 4 servings of fruit today? If so, then it's okay to leave some calories "on the table" but you don't want to leave too many or too often or your body could start trying to store, thinking that it's being starved.

And yes - feel free to eat those exercise calories! The deficit required for weight loss is built in so you'll still lose weight even if you eat every single calorie. If you need ways to use your calories, try almonds. They're high calorie, but very nutritious!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I just started too but, several people I have talked to lately including a fitness coach, a personal trainer, and some experienced big losers on here said eat them. They said they will rev your metabolism and your body will use them all plus more to help you lose once your metabolism gets kicked into gear where it belongs. One trainer told me that is the common mistake most people make when dieting- too few calories. Then when they slip up their bodies keep any extra they eat and their weight comes back on or stalls(plateaus). She is very thin and she eats 2400 calories a day and works out 30-45 min 3 days per week to maintain. I know it's scary, but I guess we should give it a try. From what they tell me your body will burn what it is used to. If you set your metabolism too low which is what most of us have done all our lives, then any excess gets stored as fat very quickly. If your body is used to using the higher calories, then it processes higher amounts more quickly without storing them for famine like the low calorie diets cause it to do. Hope this helps.
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This is often where I struggle too-- usually I have left over calories, but am already maxed out on fat, carbs, sodium, sugar, whatever...so i usually leave them.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    Please read this topic post... it has all the answers and really helped me out to understand

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
    bumping this because it needs to be read
  • aprilcarlson77
    aprilcarlson77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm all straighten out.
    Thanks so much for all the replies sure does make me feel supported. :love:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Yay! Also read (at the top of the General Community topics) The links in MFP you want to read again (and again). It has many helpful discussions for you new folks.

"Eat your exercise calories" is discussed at length, among other great topics. :flowerforyou: