calories burned w/o

Options
I was wondering if there is a way to get a count of calories burned in a workout without a heart rate monitor. I teach and take a few Zumba classes each week, and Zumba is not on the MFP exercise list. I don’t want to invest in a HRM, because I don’t see myself counting calories long-term. However, while I AM counting, I would like to (if possible) get an accurate count of calories burned, so I don’t end up eating back too many or too few calories each day.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    try this site:
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/

I put in my weight, minutes and level of intensity. Compared that to my last couple classes I did wearing HRM. I would say this site is within 10% of my HRM, a little bit on the high side.

*edited to say, I went back in and chose Low intensity and it was closer to my HRM. (I don't feel like I'm doing Low, but just letting you know it was closer by choosing that)
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the link. I'll have to try it when I get home. My work computer won't let me go there :(
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You can use Dance in the database and compare to what you get on the Zumba site. Take the lower of the two!

Enjoy!!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have looked at the dance options, and I don't think the calories are accurate. I have been dancing & doing dance aerobics for years and years, and I just can't believe that me kicking my own butt at "dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist" only burns 300 calories in an hour, when I spend the same time at a moderate pace on an eliptical & it says I burn almost twice as much. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I really think I'm working harder than that. lol :)