HELP with my calories-- Is my goal too low?

Options
Hey everyone! I have hit what feels like a bit of a plateau, and I am wondering if I am not getting enough calories. However, I am using the exact guidelines suggested to me by MFP.

MFP suggests 1200 calories... However, my BMR is somewhere around 1450-1470. See my stats below for a picture of my size... Also, I am generally pretty sedentary. I work full-time at a desk, and also am a full-time student, so a lot of time is spent sitting (work, class, studying).

For exercise, I have been doing 30DS every other day or so, but on days when I have class I just can't do it-- Between work and school, I'm going for 12 hours non-stop on those days. I also get in 30-40 minutes of walking per day between lunch breaks and walking to class. I usually eat back most of my exercise calories.

What do you think? Are my calorie goals okay-- I don't understand why I'm not losing! Whether I track everything or just eat garbage, I keep fluctuating between 141-145. Should I eat more? Less? Stop eating exercise cals? HELP please... :/

Replies

• judkinsjenny
    Options
    well i bet you are getting a LOT of exercise without realizing it, and so you are not eating them for real and then maybe your in starvation mode?? this is just a theory. 1200 cals is very low i think for someone who is running around all over the place, plus you are probably a little stressed and ;maybe need a few more cals? just a thought.
  • bevcrok
    Options
    Maybe it would help to switch your workout routine. You could try a new cardio activity that your body isn't used to.
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    Definitely don't eat less!

I'd try eating 1400 calories and seeing where that gets you.

How long have you been at a plateau? Are you eating too much sodium?
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think that since you don't have a ton to lose that it would naturally be slower. Could be wrong on that, not sure. I looked at your diary & you may not be eating enough. Everyone is different. Try a little bit of experimentation to see what works best for you. Good luck!
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? If you're increasing your physical activity, there's a chance that you're building muscle (which weighs a lot more than fat) while losing fat, so you could be getting "smaller" and healthier without the scales showing it accurately. I recommend (as does MFP) to take measurements every two weeks or so. Although weighing ourselves is probably the easiest way to measure progress, it's not necessarily the most accurate.
    Keep being healthy :-)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Between work and school, I'm going for 12 hours non-stop on those days. I also get in 30-40 minutes of walking per day between lunch breaks and walking to class.

this is FAR from sedentary. Change your goals to lightly active and 1 lb per week and eat that. 1200 is too low. :smile:
    you need fuel. you don't want to crash and burn and give up. If you ever feel really hungry and weak or tired or anything like that, you are NOT eating enough. Your goal should be to lose weight while feeling great, healthy and energetic, and loving the workouts. Not starving and weak and tired because you're "dieting". There is no need to feel like that.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

I have been tracking/exercising on and off since June-- note the "on and off", which is why I find it strange that my weight has barely budged in either direction!

As far as measurements, I haven't taken any, but my clothes are fitting exactly as they have been-- tight. LOL!

And I have been feeling rather hungry-- today in particular-- which is why I started thinking something may be off.

I'll re-do my BMR and change my activity level, and see if that gives me a new calorie goal... thanks!

EDIT: It seems that no matter what I enter in the "goals" thingy, my recommendation always comes out to be 1200. I manually bumped it to 1350... hope this will do the trick!