generally how many pounds = a dress size???

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    I used to wear size 16 (uk) all over......now almost 50 pounds later .. I am at 10-12 on top ... and a 12-14 on the bottom..Im 5'7 ...i guess it all depends on your frame too... mine doesent seem like a lot 'pant' wise but i certainly look different lol ! :) Interesting thread !
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I'm 5'7''... I'd say maybe 10-20 pounds? My bone structure will never allow me to fit into anything under a six, I'm sure. Well, except at the GAP where a size 2 equals a size 8.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Hey :-)

I was 160lbs wearing a size 14 jeans...

Now i'm 144lbs wearing a size 12 jeans...

that's me so far! good luck with your weightloss!
  • I'm seeing 20 lbs = 2 dress sizes, so ~10 lb=1 dress size
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    I weigh 155 and wear a size 6-8

In April, I was 145 and I wore a size 6-8...but my body is weird lol

At my highest weight (200) I was a size 14

I"m 5'2 btw
  • candlmom
    candlmom Posts: 1
    For me, 50 pounds today (HOORAY!) means going from size 18 in pants, 1x-2x in tops to 10/12 in pants and L in tops. That's a 4-5 size difference for 50 pounds. Per someone's comment that it may depend on exercise too, I work out regularly, mostly cardio. I'm 5'6".
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    For me (5'4, 162lb, muscular) it's around 10lbs. Just kind of depends.

I would also rather have to sell off the first dress because it I'm just so darned fit now that it hangs off me! ;)
  • Mobil2004
    Mobil2004 Posts: 10
    Last time I was at my ideal weight of 160 I was a 12 bottom and an x-small top but I carry EVERYTHING from the waist down. Right now I'm an 18 all over so for me the shirts will definitely drop more rapidly than the pants. It really does depend on body type, I think, more than anything.
  • siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    i've lost 38 lbs and just went down 1 pants size.....but shirt size hasn't changed. it's different for everyone. best of luck to you!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    Just wondering if anybody could help me with my question?! thanks! :)

Personally, I have found that if I lose 10 lbs, I go to the next dress size. However, in the UK, the sizes go down in 2s, so if I lose approximately 10lbs, I would go from a 10 to an 8 (likewise if I put on 10lbs, I would go up to a 12).
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    I think it's different for everyone... they sayyyy 10lbs is a size but it's not for everyone. I am 4'11 SW 258 CW 225... I started out wearing 24's and even 26's if I was feelin super big that day... now Im around size 20 depending on the brand.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    I think it depends on body structure and also when you are willing to buy new clothes!

I am down 30 lbs and still wearing the same clothes I always have. They just look better on me! I am hoping after another 20 I will have no choice but to go get new clothes as they are falling off. That has not happened yet.
  • legallysteph
    legallysteph Posts: 22 Member
    For me, 10lbs = 1 dress size
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    It's been about 10 for me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    someone on my friends list dropped two dress sizes while her weight stayed mostly the same, because she lifted heavy weights :drinker: I gained 10lb doing heavy lifting (stronglifts 5x5) + eating at a small surplus and stayed the same dress size. (to lose fat while doing strength training, eat at a calorie deficit... that way you lose fat, get smaller, keep your muscle and get stronger)

you can't match dress sizes with pounds.... you can gain weight in muscle and it is barely noticable in terms of size. Your muscles get firmer and denser and your body firms up, but you don't really get much bigger. Maybe half an inch here and there if you really work your *kitten* off. Yet if you gained the same amount of weight in fat you'd get quite a lot bigger.... and the same is true in reverse, if you lose pure fat, you can get quite a bit smaller for not that much weight... if you lose muscle with the fat, you can lose quite a lot of weight, but not end up that much smaller.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    someone on my friends list dropped two dress sizes while her weight stayed mostly the same, because she lifted heavy weights :drinker: I gained 10lb doing heavy lifting (stronglifts 5x5) + eating at a small surplus and stayed the same dress size. (to lose fat while doing strength training, eat at a calorie deficit... that way you lose fat, get smaller, keep your muscle and get stronger)

you can't match dress sizes with pounds.... you can gain weight in muscle and it is barely noticable in terms of size. Your muscles get firmer and denser and your body firms up, but you don't really get much bigger. Maybe half an inch here and there if you really work your *kitten* off. Yet if you gained the same amount of weight in fat you'd get quite a lot bigger.... and the same is true in reverse, if you lose pure fat, you can get quite a bit smaller for not that much weight... if you lose muscle with the fat, you can lose quite a lot of weight, but not end up that much smaller.
    This!

I lost a full size without losing anything on the scale. It's not always about the scale, in fact the scale will mess with your head - grab a tape measure (and some weights if you're not using them in your exercise already), and track the inches lost instead.

(and I realize this topic was started in 2011, but the info still stands, so what the heck. :tongue: )
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    I think it also depends on what sizes. It seems to take a lot of pounds to move between the larger sizes, but not so much between the smaller sizes.

This ^^^. Once I got a table of measurements vs sizes from a internet store site (Macy's), then used simple calculations of body volume vs weight to figure out how much one needed to lose to go down one dress size or one pants size. For bigger sizes and for taller women, it was about 20# per size. For shorter women, for smaller weights, it was ~10# per size. I don't have my chart anymore, so can't be more specific than that right now. The difference was totally due to the way the industry sets up its sizes. They take bigger steps between sizes in the large size range than they do at smaller sizes.
  • I've now lost 32lb and my dress size has not changed at all. I've lost a couple of inches here and there but because of my body shape and heigh it doesn't actually have much of an effect right now :p Still, I started at 219lb and I'm 5'2 so I think for me at least it's going to be a little while longer before I make it to the next size down c:
  • I've lost 15 lbs so far and I was wearing a 16 or even an 18 in some pants and a 1x in shirts. Now I wear a 16 comfortably, some are even loose, but my shirt size hasn't budged. The biggest place I see a difference is in my rings. If I shake my hand hard, my wedding ring and the pinky ring on my right hand will fly off.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    First, I concur that Gap jeans run huge. Gap jeans are not true to size at all!

One important factor in the answer to how many pounds equals one size: fat that is deposited in rolls or bulges, when dieted away, can create a drop in clothing size from less than a 10-pound weight loss sometimes. Excess fat not only enlarges us; it also distorts us. So whereas it could in some cases take a 15-pound loss to go from, say, a size 8 to a size 6 jeans, that same person could drop from a 6 to a 4 jeans with only a 9-pound weight loss-- because a distortion fat deposit (like a spare tire or saddlebags)might disappear with the loss of those particular 9 pounds. As a person diets closer to their ideal weight, they not only become smaller; their body also regains normal body contour.