Motivation needed!

Options
Hey everyone! I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to do this so early into my weight loss journey, but I am in some need of help! Motivation is needed right now for me :S. It's not that I'm not going out and getting exercise....it's the eating part that is getting to me. I've been getting the munchies (for absolute crap food) for about a week now...and I find myself succumbing to the dreaded cravings most of the time. I used to have the motto "if junk is not in my house, I won't eat it!" yeah....well, now I'm going out to buy the junk to satisfy the cravings! Then I feel really guilty about buying it and vow to never do that again...until the next day pulls around and I feel the cravings again. And t I just want to get pumped again about losing this weight! How do I get to that point again? Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Don't you HATE the munchies!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:
    You HAVE to find something else to do quick quick as soon as they come on....like go for another walk..or chew gum....
    If it is 'that' time of the month sometimes you just can't help it so if the month balances don't worry too much!
    All the best
    :flowerforyou:
  • beverlyl64
    Options
    Try drinking more water, fresh fruits would also be a great substitute for the the bad foods and they are sweet. But I agree get activity when the munchies hit.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I keep raw baby carrots in the house to munch on. Also a hot cup of strong tea, sweetened with Splenda, sometimes does the trick. Overcoming food addiction is hard for most everyone. Perhaps, if you found a way to have some treats in your diet? I have low cal ice cream in my freezer. Knowing that I can have a half cup serving helps me deal with the cravings.
  • Sunbeam224
    Sunbeam224 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Keep a handy lowfat sweet snack for those cravings..perhaps a tootsie pop, small peppermint patty, little tootsie rolls, etc. for when you do get a craving but limit it. Moderation is key. Also, try replacing those snacks with some fruit. I think you'll find the more good stuff you eat...the less you will want of the junk. You'll feel so much more energenic eating a light healthy snack. Go for the goal! Good Luck to you! :smile:
  • Sunbeam224
    Sunbeam224 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have light ice cream for my treats too!! I think I eat more now than I did before I counted calories
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    I have the same problem- I will go out and get the foods I know I shouldn't eat and eat them anyway. Then I'll blame the fact that school is stressing me out, or that I will eat better tomorrow. Constant battle- not to mention that my boyfriend is CONSTANTLY eating delicious foods that I want.

I would say that cutting out all the munchie foods is impossible- because let's face it, there are days when you really, really really want the burger. But maybe try to limit it to like three out of the seven days a week you have one yummy item?
    Find a ratio that works for you- but don't deprive yourself of your favorite things, or else you will just not want to continue altogether!
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    Someone once told me "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels..." I am pretty hard on myslef right now because I just started coounting, but I do allow myself to eat whatever I want on Sundays. And last sunday I ate a cheeseburger, cheese fries from outback and drank 4 beers and still came in under my calories. I feel like as long as I enter EVERYTHING in my diary I will check myself. I even have twinkies on top of the fridge when I can sneak them....I just have to write them into my diary!!!
  • wrldtrvlr83
    wrldtrvlr83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lord knows i've been there and so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would suggest when you start to have 'cravings' stop and think about what it is any why Why are you having these cravings? Do you really want that candy bar/bag of chips/gallon of ice cream? Or are you just stressed over work/school/personal relationships? Will giving in to the craving satisfy the craving (aka stress/emptyness/etc)? Most likely not, or if only for a moment. I've notice when I stopped to think about my cravings most of them stemmed from a bad day at work, fight with a friend, etc....external reasons. Once you can identify why you feel the way you do or where the craving is stemming from you can then decide to let it overcome you or you overcome it. Don't get me wrong, it's okay to satisfy those cravings, it's even healthy to do so.... but just do so in moderation. If that's hard to do at first, buy small/individual versions of the craving so when you finish you finish, no going back for seconds, thirds, fourths... I've noticed too that chewing gum helps me fight cravings too. it's hard, but don't give up.....remember tomorrow is always a new day.

it also helps to look at the calories... that's a huge turn-off to me (most of the time)

Good Luck! :)
  • LenaNicole15
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I will definitely take them all into thought and try them out! :D Such good friends on MFP!
  • suedesign
    Options
    Hi,

I just joined this on Monday and have been struggling for the last five years to loose the weight I have gained. I love this sight so far. On Monday night, I had my first craving, and after more water, I decided to see what I had that was low calorie. I found some strawberries and some blueberries left over from that morning from my turn at our support group that met that morning. I sliced up those strawberries, and added just a teaspoon of sugar slowly mixing as I sprinkled... It cured my craving, along with a glass of water and I went to bed. My point is, if you have some healthy fruit alternatives you can eat those and I was totally satisfied. I think our hands are used to being busy while on the computer or watching tv. If you have a hobby like reading, computer, needle work, night time is the best time for that, and it is hard to snack when your hands are busy.

Guess what? I weighed in this morning and I have lost just over 2 lbs since monday!!! That is huge and has me so motivated. Low fat triscuits take a long time to chew I found out and helps with that fiber issue too. Cheer up and look for an alternative snack that you like, the total calories for that bowl of strawberries and blueberries was only like 50 calories. 35 for the teaspoon of sugar!!!

Good Luck !!
  • BellydancingMary
    Options
    Hello, I understand how easy it is step off the path of the weight loss journey. There are days when all I crave is chips or oreo cookies and I can't stop myself. It is easy to beat yourself up and be made at yourself for given it to the crave. I have overtime, came to understand that I need to have these pleasures. A doctor in New Hamphire gave me some good advice on how to deal with the craving. From Saturday thru Thursdays, I stick to the weight loss diet plan except on Fridays. On Fridays I can eat whatever I want in moderation. This has helped me with my craving and from overeating.

Through exercising 4 to 5 days a week, following my special diet plan and making Friday my special eating day, I have lost 35 pounds in 2 years. Total of 5 inches around the waist.

Be proud that you are trying to keep your body in good health and never give up. You will get to your weight goals.