Seriously.

Options

Replies

• Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would also encourage adding some more nuts and/or beans to your diet. A nice thing about nuts like almonds is that they are pretty calorie dense so they might be an easy way to increase those morning calories even though you don't have much of an appetite.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Add some avocado to your days and some beans. Lentils are super quick and easy to prepare. These are the beans I currently have cooking on the stove (minus the oil, tomato paste, and mashing): http://littlehouseofveggies.blogspot.com/2010/08/tostadas-with-morgans-amazing-refried.html
  • arispawild
    Options
    Add some avocado to your days and some beans. Lentils are super quick and easy to prepare. These are the beans I currently have cooking on the stove (minus the oil, tomato paste, and mashing): http://littlehouseofveggies.blogspot.com/2010/08/tostadas-with-morgans-amazing-refried.html

I have to eat in a dining hall
  • veganbaum
    Options

That stinks. Can't you at least request that they have a vegan bean option each day? That seems reasonable.
  • arispawild
    Options

Believe me. We have.
    They won't do it. They say they offer salad bar, fruit, and pasta and that's good enough. >.<

That stinks. Can't you at least request that they have a vegan bean option each day? That seems reasonable.
  • veganbaum
    Options

Believe me. We have.
    They won't do it. They say they offer salad bar, fruit, and pasta and that's good enough. >.<

If there are several of you, it seems like there would be more of a possibility. Have you made the argument that you can't get what you need nutritionally from just fruit, veggies and pasta? What do they offer besides that? For instance, do they have soups, a hot bar? I mean, they must, and it seems a very reasonable request that there is ONE item on a hot bar that is vegan. It's not that freakin' hard to make a vegan dish, that non-vegans would eat, too. It's not like it has to have tofu or something. That would make me really mad and I would become a pain in their a**. Is there someone higher up that you can ask?
  • arispawild
    Options

Believe me. We have.

If there are several of you, it seems like there would be more of a possibility. Have you made the argument that you can't get what you need nutritionally from just fruit, veggies and pasta? What do they offer besides that? For instance, do they have soups, a hot bar? I mean, they must, and it seems a very reasonable request that there is ONE item on a hot bar that is vegan. It's not that freakin' hard to make a vegan dish, that non-vegans would eat, too. It's not like it has to have tofu or something. That would make me really mad and I would become a pain in their a**. Is there someone higher up that you can ask?

Believe me. We have even had our parents complain.
    And they told them that their french fried are vegan.
    I fricking refuse to eat those.
    They have one soup a day. SOMETIMES vegan.
    And yes, we have said the nutrition thing. We aren't that important because the Dining hall is primarily for the college and we are just a boarding school that also uses it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

Your caloric intake is under your goal because you chose foods with low calorie density.
    THIS. Try eating much more calorie dense foods.
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options

You might wanna invest in getting a few snacks for your dorm so you have some food available to fill in those extra calories.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Earlier I said I didnt think you are eating enough, I stand by that you are 16 and need more.
  • arispawild
    Options
    Earlier I said I didnt think you are eating enough, I stand by that you are 16 and need more.

How much do you think someone my age should eat?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

1200 is the BARE minimum for an ADULT you barely reach that on most days. teenagers NEED more
  • arispawild
    Options

1200 is the BARE minimum for an ADULT you barely reach that on most days. teenagers NEED more

Okay.... Well, I leave room for error because I don't weigh food.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    could you get a ride to a grocery store to keep some fresh fruit, nuts, etc. in your room? or have it delievered via a grocery service? if you really want it there are probably food delivery options like that!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    could you get a ride to a grocery store to keep some fresh fruit, nuts, etc. in your room? or have it delievered via a grocery service? if you really want it there are probably food delivery options like that!
  • arispawild
    Options
    Not allowed to have a fridge.
  • hufflypuff
    Options

Room for error... are you trying to hit exactly 1200 calories a day or do you not really think about calories since most of your food intake is not very calorie dense. Also are you ever hungry, tired or weak?
  • hufflypuff
    Options

What type school doesn't allow a fridge? That seems so odd.
  • arispawild
    Options

Room for error... are you trying to hit exactly 1200 calories a day or do you not really think about calories since most of your food intake is not very calorie dense. Also are you ever hungry, tired or weak?
    I just try to eat healthy. I'm maintaining.
    Tired. But that's because I'm a stressed student,
  • arispawild
    Options

What type school doesn't allow a fridge? That seems so odd.
    I guess something happened involving a fridge a few years ago so they banned it.