Why am I so hungry??

Options
I was pondering this and thought I'd pose this question to my fellow MFPers:

Today I have been VORACIOUSLY hungry. Not just like, "Oh I'm bored, I think I want a snack" hungry, more like, "OMG if I don't eat something now my stomach is going to digest itseeeelllllffffff".

I'd like to believe it's my metabolism. The past two days I've added jogging into my walking routine and it makes me feel AMAZING. The endorphin rush is unbelievable. So, my optimistic self wants to blame it on that. But my realistic self believes it's just a natural ebb and flow in my life.

Any hypotheses? :)

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Did you eat all your calories the last 2 days?
    I normally do and when I do, my hunger comes back with a vengeance!!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Did you eat all your calories the last 2 days?
    I normally do and when I do, my hunger comes back with a vengeance!!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with the why, but I go through that every couple of weeks or so. A day when I can't get enough! I just deal with it, record it all and move on to the next day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Actually, yesterday I went over my cals by like 60, then today by almost 200!
  • lwhitman4
    Options
    And heck yes I eat those exercise cals! I like to think of it as an added bonus. ;)
  • AMoore33
    AMoore33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling this for the last couple days myself. However, I'm just now starting out and figured it was just becoming accustomed to the new eating habits. If it happens to you every now and again, can you think of any triggers such as eating at different times, type of calories you're eating, etc?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    That feeling is all too familiar to me. I can only tell you what has worked for me: lowering the carbohydrates and upping the fat. For example, I've switched my steel cut oats and skim milk for eggs and bacon for breakfast. My appetite is a lot more even throughout the day.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Today I have been VORACIOUSLY hungry. Not just like, "Oh I'm bored, I think I want a snack" hungry, more like, "OMG if I don't eat something now my stomach is going to digest itseeeelllllffffff".

I'd like to believe it's my metabolism. The past two days I've added jogging into my walking routine and it makes me feel AMAZING. The endorphin rush is unbelievable. So, my optimistic self wants to blame it on that. But my realistic self believes it's just a natural ebb and flow in my life.

Without knowing what you are eating, this is only a suggestion. Take a look at your carb and sugar levels. Sometimes certain foods will make you FEEL hungry even when your body doesn't need food. Same with drinking water... sometimes our bodies mistake dehydration with hunger. Try drinking a big glass of water and wait 20 minutes. If you are still hungry, have a healthy snack. Good luck!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    And heck yes I eat those exercise cals! I like to think of it as an added bonus. ;)
    Excellent! I find foods rich in protein make me feel full for longer. I don't know if that would work for you, but it's worth a shot.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    That feeling is all too familiar to me. I can only tell you what has worked for me: lowering the carbohydrates and upping the fat. For example, I've switched my steel cut oats and skim milk for eggs and bacon for breakfast. My appetite is a lot more even throughout the day.

I agree. My breakfast is loaded with protein and it keeps me full all morning. I'm rarely hungry for lunch.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree, I've lowered my carbs and upped my fat....i'm never hungry anymore and i a runner....love my energy and thank god no more cravings...
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Me too today I was a crazy person starving! I haven't been this hungry since I started in end of July and I haven't changed exercise. I did try to eat a huge breakfast today but I feel like I was out of control the rest of the day and blew all my values for today. I was over in all of them which is rarely the case. I don't know why for me?????Wish I had an answer.:sad:
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options

If you had your food and exercise diary open to us it would be easier to judge why you might be so hungry.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Me too today I was a crazy person starving! I haven't been this hungry since I started in end of July and I haven't changed exercise. I did try to eat a huge breakfast today but I feel like I was out of control the rest of the day and blew all my values for today. I was over in all of them which is rarely the case. I don't know why for me?????Wish I had an answer.:sad:

What did you eat for breakfast?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    - hormones?
    - extra exercise?
    - stress?
    - not eating the right foods for you? - I find 70 cals worth if almonds WAY more satisfying than 70 cals of rice cakes.
  • Musicgrl4life
    Options
    I've felt like that too. Today actually my stomach felt like a pit.lol. I never felt full or anything. But, i stuck to the limited portions and everything. Thing with me is though, I ignored the hunger pangs I got so much, that I don't think i even get them.. Just was trying to eat til I felt I had something. Luckily, i didn't overeat! :)
  • miller1208
    Options
    I've been starting off the day with a protein shake (MuscleTech vanilla from Sam's @120 cals/scoop w/ water), and it really seems to help. Perhaps you could try one of those when you get super hungry. Also, sometimes thirst is sometimes mistaken for hunger...probably not this case, but monitor your water.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Your body is probably going through withdraw. If you are eating all your calories and getting the right nutrition from them it will stop after a while. You need to make sure you are eating a balanced diet. Also the change in seasons makes you want to eat more. If you live in an area where you are going into a cold season it's natural for the body to want to put fat on. MY OPINION
  • lwhitman4
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the input :)

Also: Thought my diary was open, will change that now, I apologize for anyone who might have looked to figure things out and found out it was locked. My bad.

And I know there's no way to know for 100% without consulting a doctor/dietician, I just enjoy knocking ideas around. I assumed myself it was my increased calorie burn, but I learned a bit from what everyone else mentioned. Appreciate it!!