Accurate scales?

Options
So I bought a new scale from wal-mart a week or so ago. One of the health o meter ones that take into account water in the body and body fat. Big error. The scale gives weight ranges ranging from 260 up to 285...

I try the old one which we know to be inaccurate and it gives readings in the 280's as well and Im going that is impossible... So tomorrow we are returning the wal-mart one for something we hope to be more accurate. We are thinking of going with the older dial type weight scales. They seem more accurate than these digital ones.

Any other thoughts on a bathroom scale?

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    So I bought a new scale from wal-mart a week or so ago. One of the health o meter ones that take into account water in the body and body fat. Big error. The scale gives weight ranges ranging from 260 up to 285...

I try the old one which we know to be inaccurate and it gives readings in the 280's as well and Im going that is impossible... So tomorrow we are returning the wal-mart one for something we hope to be more accurate. We are thinking of going with the older dial type weight scales. They seem more accurate than these digital ones.

Any other thoughts on a bathroom scale?

Health O Meter scales are doctor scales. They tend to be accurate. Are you saying that your new scale gave you a 260 pound reading and then turn around and gave you a 285 reading? If so, then the scale you have bought wasn't calibrated. To test it, if you have dumbbell put it on the scale to see if the scale will pick up the weight of the dumbbell. If it does, take the dumbbell off and wait a few seconds and then put it back on the scale to see if it gives you the same reading, if it does, then your scale is calibrated.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I dunno; personally I prefer the digital. Sometimes I step on mine a few times and it will change, but then it will "pick a number." My mom still has the old dial kind and I find it way all over the place. Plus you have to re-zero it and that can throw off the weight, as well. I think any basic scale is not going to be perfectly accurate, so pick what you like and remember it may still have a margin of error.
  • lostsoul2216
    lostsoul2216 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This one has little metal stripes to put feet on and you have to be barefoot.

Honestly I am just going to go with the dial scale and see if that does the trick... because weight ranges on this one from 260-285 even weighing in exactly the same position on the scale is not even close to accurate.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i use the old-school dial scale. i have to zero it every so often, and the numbers fluctuate a little, but i think it's ok. the numbers are more or less around the numbers i find when i weigh using the big bulky doctor scales.