Nighttime Snacking?

Options
I've been following my diet and exercise plan for about a week now, except for one thing....I snack at night, after 6:00. I've really cut down on the amount of snacks I eat, but I want to quit doing it completely. Last night I ate a handful of animal crackers and then a few Tostitos with salsa. Will this hinder my weight loss at all? If so, I'm going to stop. Snacking is the biggest reason I have a chubby stomach to begin with.

Also, I know I have to do cardio of some kind. I have a Tamilee Webb Tape.....althought I haven't done it yet....and I run in place for 15 minutes to half an hour a day. Is that enough?

And should eat at the same times of the day? Right now I nornally would have eaten breakfast (school day), but it's the weekend now and I'm not really hungry. Should I still follow my routine anyway? Sorry for being a pain, but these were things that stopped my urge to lose weight last time! Thanks!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Violet_Mist
    Options
    I've been following my diet and exercise plan for about a week now, except for one thing....I snack at night, after 6:00. I've really cut down on the amount of snacks I eat, but I want to quit doing it completely. Last night I ate a handful of animal crackers and then a few Tostitos with salsa. Will this hinder my weight loss at all? If so, I'm going to stop. Snacking is the biggest reason I have a chubby stomach to begin with.

Also, I know I have to do cardio of some kind. I have a Tamilee Webb Tape.....althought I haven't done it yet....and I run in place for 15 minutes to half an hour a day. Is that enough?

And should eat at the same times of the day? Right now I nornally would have eaten breakfast (school day), but it's the weekend now and I'm not really hungry. Should I still follow my routine anyway? Sorry for being a pain, but these were things that stopped my urge to lose weight last time! Thanks!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • edidri6
    edidri6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hiya Violet-

Well, I may get flamed for what I'm about to say because some will tell you that as long as you eat only the calorie allotment it doesnt matter when you get those calories, I disagree. I have had the best results when I don't eat within two or three hours of bedtime and eating a nice breakfast, which I used to do the opposite and got BIG. For years I came home from work ate a big dinner, watched some TV, ate a sugary snak before bed and got up to a cup or two of coffee and skipped breakfast. Trust me, I have been where you are and it is a struggle.

I found I could be strict with my diet if I incorporate one cheat day a week when I would eat whatever and whenever I wanted. The body simply couldnt absorb all the calories in one day and the effects were minimal, now I am down to one cheat meal a week instead of the whole day. :bigsmile: Try it! The rest of the week I follow the mfp calorie allotment, including exercise calroies and it works! I will admit I shoot for a bit higher protein and fewer carbs, but the calorie count is good.:drinker:

Lastly on diet, animal crackers and tostitos? I think you know better!:noway:

Goggle Michi's ladder and shoot for eating off the top two tiers! (Except for that cheat day!):wink:

Now for exercise, just about anything from Beachbody...I dont work them! I have used several of thier videos and love P90X! Just get out and move a bit more to help your body burn up the goo!

I hope this helps and YOU CAN DO IT!:bigsmile:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Try to cut back on the snacking, but if you must snack make sure to leave yourself calories to do so! You can do it this time!
  • DevaFae
    DevaFae Posts: 17
    Options
    I would caution away from cutting out snacking completely. Eating a healthy snack between meals is a great way to keep your body going especially if you are cutting down on eating at mealtimes. For instance, I'm doing a slimfast shake for breakfast. If I weren't to eat something before my lunch, I'd get a major headache and feel awful. As far as nighttime snacking, my opinion is that its not about when you eat, its about how many calories you eat in a day vs the amount you burn. So if eating a small snack after dinner is something you want to do, just make sure you've got enough calories allotted to do so. I also personally feel that you should eat when you are hungry. Forcing yourself to eat when you aren't hungry isn't going to be the best thing for you. Wait a little while and eat when you are hungry. Just make sure to listen to your body! :wink:
  • ccbyrne1
    ccbyrne1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dont eat anything after 6:30. Sometimes it takes a lot of self control to not have that snack, but I just drink a glass of water instead. It fills me up. Just make sure you eat your calories during the day, and drink lots of water, and you'll be full and wont want those late night snacks
  • hollymires
    Options
    I have been so good all week...had lost 6 pounds. I had horrible snack cravings last night and ending up eating theater style microwave popcorn and some crackers....GRRRR! I woke up this morning a pound heavier...so now I am only at 5. I am going to strive for no snacking at night!!!

smiley-sad029.gif
    smiley-sad032.gif
    smiley-sad045.gif

Holly
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I struggle big time with this one. Last night i gave in and ate a whole wheat waffle with strawberry jam to cure my sweet tooth. I have heard so many different things about it. I had a health professional tell me a calorie is a calorie it doesn't matter what time i consume it in a 24 hour period. I don't know what to think about that one. I too am cutting back on what i snack on late but giving it up has been so far not happening for me.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Violet_Mist
    Options
    Hiya Violet-

Well, I may get flamed for what I'm about to say because some will tell you that as long as you eat only the calorie allotment it doesnt matter when you get those calories, I disagree. I have had the best results when I don't eat within two or three hours of bedtime and eating a nice breakfast, which I used to do the opposite and got BIG. For years I came home from work ate a big dinner, watched some TV, ate a sugary snak before bed and got up to a cup or two of coffee and skipped breakfast. Trust me, I have been where you are and it is a struggle.

I found I could be strict with my diet if I incorporate one cheat day a week when I would eat whatever and whenever I wanted. The body simply couldnt absorb all the calories in one day and the effects were minimal, now I am down to one cheat meal a week instead of the whole day. :bigsmile: Try it! The rest of the week I follow the mfp calorie allotment, including exercise calroies and it works! I will admit I shoot for a bit higher protein and fewer carbs, but the calorie count is good.:drinker:

Lastly on diet, animal crackers and tostitos? I think you know better!:noway:

Goggle Michi's ladder and shoot for eating off the top two tiers! (Except for that cheat day!):wink:

Now for exercise, just about anything from Beachbody...I dont work them! I have used several of thier videos and love P90X! Just get out and move a bit more to help your body burn up the goo!

I hope this helps and YOU CAN DO IT!:bigsmile:
    Thank you all so much! I am going to try that "cheat meal" thing, I'm actually getting one today by going a parent's friends' house for dinner....I'm still going to make the healthiest choices I can, but there will be some fried chicken! :laugh: I am definitely going to take everyone's advice and STOP EATING AT NIGHT! Thank you all for helping me, now I have more motivation!:flowerforyou: :drinker: