Carbs before... Protein after.... but how much?

Options
I've heard you should eat some carbs before you workout, and have some protein afterwards. Well, how much of each should one eat??? I have been eating a nature valley granola bar pre-workout, which keeps me from getting hungry in the middle of the workout (and I do have the energy I think)... but how much should I actually eat? Is there a percentage or grams per lb of mass? Some way to figure it out?

Right now I am not focusing much on strength training, so I know I SHOULD eat about 1gram of protein per lb, but how much of it should I eat after a workout? Does this change if I do different things as well???

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    post workout carbs are also very important. try for a 2:1 carb to protein ratio after your workout.

dont have any numbers tho sorry D:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    If you have a hard workout, you need to get carbs back in your body.

A good thing is a 4:1 ratio of carbs/protein. Lowfat Chocolate Milk, while to the best out there is an awesome inexpensive thing to drink afterwards.
  • blanky889
    Options
    you need some carbs after workouts as they are essentially used as a crarier for your protein to get to your muscles. Chocolate milk is good for this, so is a gatorade, or even juice. Once you get this in your body you want to consume protein, all this should be done within 30 minutes ofr working out if possible
  • Darkness2120
    Options
    Ideally you should consume both protein and carbs before AND after training. As for the amount, I haven't found any evidence indicating a specific ratio or amount that is optimal so essentially eat whatever amount you want as long as it fits into your total daily calorie intake.