Weight loss formula challenged

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would only say at first read that no one should jump to any conclusions about this, pro or con. The researcher does some sophisticated mathematical modeling to come to his conclusions--it's not the kind of stuff that sorts itself out into easy answers IMO.

Several years ago, the same group proposed a model of weight loss which laid out a theory of how the body responds differently to a calorie deficit based on ratio of fat mass to lean mass.

Personally, I'm even close to being qualified to assess his mathematical model--I read the previous studies I described, downloaded the spreadsheet calculators--and it still didn't make sense.

He does serious research, so I would definitely pay attention to his results--but I would not accept them uncritically because I am not sure how/if they can be practically applied.

Thanks for the link.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Its not a matter of questioning the 3,500 calorie/week formula but the problem lies in our expectations & the use of scale as our only criterion for weight loss success. I agree that it all depends on the body type as each body type responds differently on diet & exercise. There are people who are naturally skinny & blessed with fast metabolism that they can eat like a horse & yet not gain a .000001 lb. On the other hand, there are people who are naturally fatter that no matter how dedicated they are to their diet & working out to the max, still they remain fat. Of course there are people who fall in-between who gains muscle and loses & gain weight more easily. This may seem unfair but its true. Ttry google SOMATOTYPE.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    To me it makes sense but then it has taken me 5 years to lose 77 pounds, of which the first 65 were fairly rapid and the rest seems to be moving slowly. For me this statement is true:

"The rough rule of thumb to go by is 10 calories per day per pound. And it takes a year to lose half of the excess weight and three years to get to 95%."
  • lornawalker
    Options
    Bump