Dr. Oz........

Options

Replies

• Lazlocats
    Lazlocats Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    AT least he is better than most that don't even try to tell the truth. He also has many wonderful guest that speak about holistic healing and alternative healing.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    i would advise you that you don't get your nutritional advice from Dr Oz.

the 2 most important things of a diet are;
    1) a caloric deficit
    2)adherence

I would very much recommend that everyone reading this takes the above advice.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The only reason Dr. Oz is famous is because he was Oprah's doctor of choice, so now he has his own show. That does not make him an expert on everything. The fact that he is pushing "miracle foods" (he may not have called them that, but that's the inference people will make) causes me to question what he is saying.

I agree with another poster who said they'd prefer to have their own face-to-face with their own doc. That doctor knows your medical history and can advise you better than someone spouting generalized nonsense that may not fit your particular situation. My suggestion would be that if you hear something from Dr. Oz that interests you, research it. Go online and see if there is information out there to back up his claims. This is the beauty of the internet. Just be careful about the information...look for reputable sites like WebMD and the Mayo Clinic and university studies. My pastor always told us not to take his word for what he was preaching, but delve into the Bible yourself and test what he was saying against what was actually in the Bible. Good advice that translates well to this type of information, too...research it!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    how come? he's an MD and knows his stuff as far as im concerned.. and, he cares about women and makes them feel empowered! =)

1) a caloric deficit
    2)adherence

for nonsense like this

http://gizmodo.com/5841120/this-is-why-dr-oz-is-worried-about-apple-juice

and just because someone is an MD doesn't mean they necessarily mean they are informed, see docs prescribing HCG for weight loss, despite the fact it has proven to do nothing for weight loss

+1
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    AT least he is better than most that don't even try to tell the truth. He also has many wonderful guest that speak about holistic healing and alternative healing.

:smile:
  • chris1529
    Options
    The only reason Dr. Oz is famous is because he was Oprah's doctor of choice, so now he has his own show. That does not make him an expert on everything. The fact that he is pushing "miracle foods" (he may not have called them that, but that's the inference people will make) causes me to question what he is saying.

I agree with another poster who said they'd prefer to have their own face-to-face with their own doc. That doctor knows your medical history and can advise you better than someone spouting generalized nonsense that may not fit your particular situation. My suggestion would be that if you hear something from Dr. Oz that interests you, research it. Go online and see if there is information out there to back up his claims. This is the beauty of the internet. Just be careful about the information...look for reputable sites like WebMD and the Mayo Clinic and university studies. My pastor always told us not to take his word for what he was preaching, but delve into the Bible yourself and test what he was saying against what was actually in the Bible. Good advice that translates well to this type of information, too...research it!

Oh I'm a big researcher! I love to do my research! :) You mentioned WebMD and Mayo Clinic........ don't forget to mention John Hopkins! John Hopkins is a wonderful research hospital!
  • chris1529
    Options
    Kim, I also love what your pastor said about researching the Bible for yourself! :)
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a useless douchecanoe that is out to use scare tactics and sell tactics to convince housewives to listen to him.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a useless douchecanoe that is out to use scare tactics and sell tactics to convince housewives to listen to him.

And sadly, most will listen to him. He's very charismatic, which makes for good ratings. Plus, when you have someone that already wants a quick fix, and you offer one, they're going to swallow it hook, line, and sinker.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    Dr Oz is really a big part of whats wrong with our society
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is really a big part of whats wrong with our society

Agreed.

Unfortunately, people listen to someone who "looks smart" instead of figuring it out for themeselve far too often.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

As long as you eat natural food that doesn't come in a box with lots of ingredients that you don't recognize (and don't eat too much of it) and exercise, you will lose weight.

I'll rephrase that for you.

As long as you maintain a calorific deficit, you will lose weight. For pure weight loss it really doesn't matter what the food is.
  • chris1529
    Options
    It's just like my husband says...... "We all are entitled to our own opinion!" Funny thing is, eveyone keeps saying "quick fix" and he is always saying to change your lifestyle and the way you eat. No quick fix there. What I like is that he shows interest in natural and holistic medicine AS WELL AS conventional medicine. I mentioned blueberries and nuts because he mention how good they are for your health and how they can ASSIST in weight loss. Not that they make you lose weight but that they help speed up metabolism some. I know there are vitamins and certain foods that will speed the metabolism. Green tea being one of them. I love to research..... one of the reasons I wanted everyone's opinion and experience on this topic! :)

What can I say, I am interested in topics on natural cures! Anyone else interested in natural cures or only pharmaceutical ones?
  • Jovialation
    Options
    yea theres totally food that helps metabolism and weight loss...
    common knowledge these days.

doesnt make dr oz less of a corporate tool
  • chris1529
    Options
    Sure doesn't, BUT atleast he tries to put it out there while all the other doctors try to cover it up with a pill! Just sayin there needs to be a balance! :)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is to medicine as Dr. Phil is to psychotherapy. Except Dr. Phil acknowledges that what he is doing isn't therapy...sometimes. He does what is affectionately called "hairdresser therapy" in the professional community. Meaning, if it looks like something a hairdresser/bartender/friend could do, you are paying the wrong person for your treatment.

I like Dr. Oz for ONE reason. If he says it, my mom will do it. Kinda sometimes. Anything that gets her healthier, I endorse.

Edited to say:

I am NOT knocking Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, hairdressers, etc. Bottom line, I don't care if watching Jersey Shore in a headstand helps someone...as long as they get something positive from it. If you can find inspiration and encouragement, TAKE IT AND RUN.
  • chris1529
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz for ONE reason. If he says it, my mom will do it. Kinda sometimes. Anything that gets her healthier, I endorse.

Edited to say:

I am NOT knocking Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, hairdressers, etc. Bottom line, I don't care if watching Jersey Shore in a headstand helps someone...as long as they get something positive from it. If you can find inspiration and encouragement, TAKE IT AND RUN.

:smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have the show on in the background, but it all sounds like a lot of fear-mongering. Like a slow, boring version of "1000 Ways to Die." :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

1) a caloric deficit
    2)adherence

Yes, because what does a successful cardiologist who studies these things every day know about it?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

:heart: This is how I feel about that R-Word we're not allowed to talk about here. I don't follow it, but if it brings someone joy, hope and happiness... go for it!