Best breakfast to start your day?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat eggs, eat WHOLE EGGS. Everything that makes an egg nutritious is basically in the yolk.

And yes, I eat 2 to 3 eggs for breakfast most mornings, other days I eat oatmeal, depends on the workout I'm gonna do that morning (oatmeal for cardio, eggs for strength training days.)

But seriously, egg whites are essentially nutrition-less, they don't even provide a complete protein.
  • glepor1
    Options
    Egg whites and 100% whole wheat, unbuttered toast with a side of fruit (blueberries are good) -- the protein in the eggs and the fiber in the whole wheat toast keep you fuller longer, as well as good carbs to help you get through a workout.
    Also, sometimes I have a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal (1 cup) with blueberries. I do Silk original light soymilk because it adds flavor and isn't harsh on my stomach, but if you're not into that choose fat-free milk. Kashi provides a good source of protein and fiber as well.
    If you workout in the morning, a bowl of cereal is good to have a little while before (like a half hour to an hour before). Sometimes if it's been an hour or more since I ate breakfast, I'll eat a banana before a workout. It provides quick carbs that give me a boost of energy to make it through a rigorous workout (involving a lot of cardio).
    Hope this helps!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Egg & Bacon Muffins

I don't really have a recipe here's what I do:

Pre cook chicken bacon but fully cooked. Also works with deli ham.

Cut each strip in half and place crossed + in a sprayed muffin tin.

I sometimes put in a small piece of cheese or veggies.

Crack an egg into muffin tin, break yolk and pepper to taste

Bake in oven 350 F for approximately 30 minutes.

I make a dozen at a time and keep them in the fridge in a tupperware.

They are easy to make and easy to eat on the run. Good cold or warmed.

K
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make these Breakfast Muffins nearly every Sunday evening, for an "on the go" breakfast during the week - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work! You could also warm up a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese and one of these muffins for an egg burrito.

You can pretty much make the "filling" however you want - this is how I do it....

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

Chopped onion (I prefer the red/purple onion), garlic, red bell pepper, cooked broccoli and/or spinach (usually both!), "fake" sausage (I like Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - I use 2-4 patties, they are small). I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following: 4 whole eggs, 1 1/2 cups "All Whites" (carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs), 10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk. (I'm watching my egg yolk consumption, but if it's not an issue for you then you could certainly just use 12 whole eggs instead).

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into each section of the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 350 degrees for 12-18 minutes until eggs are cooked through & tops a bit brown, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. If needed I put the broiler on for the last 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

Yum!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    coffee is the best breakfast to start my day
  • porriage is very good :)
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    I prefer lots of protein first thing in the morning. Absolute best way to start the day!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lazy so I don't do it often, but an egg on a whole grain english muffin. Protein and carbs. You could eat fruit with it.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I almost always have oatmeal or porridge, mixed with some almond milk, protein powder, berries, flax seed and almond butter . I also have a serving of Greek yogurt with it. This runs about 500 calories. I try to keep breakfast between 500 and 600 calories every day, it keeps me going for hours and I have completely eliminated the urge to snack. I adhere to the rule that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day. I stay within my calories and I have a steady loss of about 1 pound a week. I actually tried reducing my calories at breakfast at the end of July to try and lose faster and hit a plateau that took two months to break . I guess I learned, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I increased calories and finally started losing again.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump! :D Thanks for the "on the go" recipes!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    coffee is the best breakfast to start my day

With a shot of tequila
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's frozen steel cut oatmeal. Hands down.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    Yogurt with fruit. I like to mix and match fresh or frozen:

blueberries
    blackberries
    raspberries
    peaches
    mango
    banana
    strawberries
    cherries

If I use frozen fruit I measure it the night before and put it in the fridge to thaw. Also grapes on the side are so refreshing in the morning when I have them on hand.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    oatmeal made with almond milk with a tbs of peanut butter. YUM. Play around with the amounts of oats and milk until you find your perfect portion. Lately for me it's been 1/2 cup oats and 3/4 cup milk, nuked for 2.5 minutes. Plus as much fruit as I want on the side, or later as a morning snack.

This meal can be low or high cal, depending on how much oats/milk and how much fruit I have each day.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat eggs, eat WHOLE EGGS. Everything that makes an egg nutritious is basically in the yolk.

And yes, I eat 2 to 3 eggs for breakfast most mornings, other days I eat oatmeal, depends on the workout I'm gonna do that morning (oatmeal for cardio, eggs for strength training days.)

But seriously, egg whites are essentially nutrition-less, they don't even provide a complete protein.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with this statement. Egg whites are a terrific COMPLETE protein source for those watching their fat or cholesterol intake. Most recommendations say 1-2 whole eggs per day is fine for most people, but if you need to watch cholesterol then 4 whole eggs per week will do fine. While the egg yolk certainly does have terrific nutrition, SOME people DO need to watch fat/cholesterol intake as per the advice of their physician OR their own personal preference, and therefore look to egg WHITES for a great Protein source.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/403831-egg-white-protein-nutrition-information/

"Egg white protein is a complete protein with diverse benefits for your health. A complete protein includes all nine essential amino acids for adults. Anyone with nimble kitchen skills knows that egg white can easily be separated from the yellow egg yolk, making egg white a convenient and easy source of low-fat, low-calorie and complete protein.

Complete Protein
    Egg white protein is considered a "perfect" or "complete" protein, because it contains all nine essential amino acids. These nine amino acids are essential because your body needs them but cannot synthesize them itself, so you must get them from the foods you eat. Egg white protein has enjoyed a long reputation as a complete protein."

I love whole eggs and will eat 1-2/day, but when I want a high-protein fix, I add more egg whites to my food - delicious, nutritious, low cal, and a great hunger-stopper!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • ChrisMcCaffrey
    ChrisMcCaffrey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Banana Pancakes. Mix 1/2 cup steel cut oats (cook prior to mixing) with 1 egg 1 banana, add spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and you will get sugar from the banana but if you have a little sweet tooth you have the option to add some splenda. Mix all this together to create a mushy paste, similar to pancake mix texture. Pour onto pan that you oiled with virgin olive oil and cook just like a pancake. This size batch makes about 3 small pancakes. Enjoy!!!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    For cold cereal I like Kashi go-lean crunch with unsweetened almond milk. Had that this morning. Also great with greek yogurt.

For hot cereal, oatmeal or oat bran with milk of choice, fruit, and sometimes Peanut butter or ground flax seed mixed in along with sweetener (I use splenda usually).

Egg whites with veggies, LF cheese, and an english muffin or sandwich thin also works well for me.

If really pressed for time, I will eat an english muffin (I like the Thomas light multigrain ones the best) with 1 TBSP of peanut butter.
  • lpl919
    Options
    i just have a turkey sandwich on wheat with low fat yogurt
  • NicCa90
    NicCa90 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First, I ALWAYS have coffee..
    then i usually choose from the same options..

-oatmeal with some fruit
    -yogurt and fruit mixed together
    -fruit smoothie
    -scrambled eggs with cooked bell peppers either eaten alone with cheese or in a tortilla
    -english muffin or mini bagel with some lunch meat and cheese heated and a cooked russet potatoe

imm sure theres some more but typically i bounce between these options...