To keep or not to keep - that is the question...

Options
Hey all - a while back I had put on about 40 pounds over a couple of years, and I have been working hard over another couple of years to get it back off (still not quite there). Here is my question:

When I go down a clothes size, I'll go get a few items in the "new" size. People around me always say, "well, don't get rid of the old clothes, in case you need them again."

But part of me feels like if I do get rid of them, that it's like burning a bridge and promising myself that I'll keep it up. What do you think? What have you done in this situation?

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey all - a while back I had put on about 40 pounds over a couple of years, and I have been working hard over another couple of years to get it back off (still not quite there). Here is my question:

When I go down a clothes size, I'll go get a few items in the "new" size. People around me always say, "well, don't get rid of the old clothes, in case you need them again."

But part of me feels like if I do get rid of them, that it's like burning a bridge and promising myself that I'll keep it up. What do you think? What have you done in this situation?
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of my "fat" clothes. Some I gave to Goodwill, and some I gave to my sister who is the size that I used to be.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Get them altered! Huge motivator to stay and maintain. I did it a couple years ago, and for some reason it really helps when you make an additional investment in alterations. Good luck.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I got rid of all of my bigger clothes when I lost weight the first time. I was hoping that I would either stay at that weight or lose more. 2 years later I am back up in size and had to buy more clothes. Now I kept the clothes that I was in when I got smaller. I am aiming for that size again. First big goal! I found that I didn't want to keep the bigger clothes because I never wanted to be that size again. You will most likely feel the same way. Go buy you clothes for the size you are now and never look back!! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    well i had a bad experience with that. I gave away my fat clothes ended up gaining 22 lbs back can't wear anything i have. had to go buy some jeans that fit for now. I learned a hard lesson financially. i am trying to get back into my other clothes now and then cont down from there. i did think i would not be into this size again but here i am
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    when i changed sizes i waited until it was absolutely no longer possible to wear the larger size. then i went to the goodwill and bought some smaller stuff (i mean, im not gonna be in it all that long). I took all my "big" clothes out of the closet and bagged them up and stuck them in the guest bedroom. a few months later, when its time to change sizes again, those bags go to the goodwill, and are replaced by the new, smaller clothes that are now too big. this seems to work well for me. it is hard to let go of them. PS - don't wait for smaller clothes until ur pants almost fall off at the gym. just trust me on this one. :blushing:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    For me I'd get rid of them or like someone else said have them altered. I see no point in storing close in case. It's almost like saying you know you will gain it back.
    When you get to your goal keep up your new lifestyle. And you won't need those old clothes!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    when i changed sizes i waited until it was absolutely no longer possible to wear the larger size. then i went to the goodwill and bought some smaller stuff (i mean, im not gonna be in it all that long). I took all my "big" clothes out of the closet and bagged them up and stuck them in the guest bedroom. a few months later, when its time to change sizes again, those bags go to the goodwill, and are replaced by the new, smaller clothes that are now too big. this seems to work well for me. it is hard to let go of them. PS - don't wait for smaller clothes until ur pants almost fall off at the gym. just trust me on this one. :blushing:

This is a great idea! It feels better to wear clothes that fit good. I think it does alot for motivation.
  • sweetcheaks
    Options
    well if i were in thea situation i would give my clothes away because like u say that would make sure that u wont be able to go back to thea bigger size if u dont have thea clothes unless u go buy some and u dont want to do that, so i shooo them clothes... away and away!!!
    and sorry to say but thea ppl around u telling u that u might need them clothes again dont sound like they think ur going to be able to make it to ur goal!!????
    well i think that u will make it to thea goal u have and be positive dont think of the what IF's !!!
  • rv8396
    rv8396 Posts: 14
    Options
    I actually "loaned" My "big" clothes to my sister and sister-in-law.
    We agreed that they could use them as long as they needed, BUT IF I needed them back I could use them (and they can give me a swift kick)....
    That way they are not around waiting for me to fail and I feel like I've really moved on, but I don't want to break us financially should I need latger clothes...
    Just a thought.