Spaghetti Squash Ideas

monicanicoletta
monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
Hi Everyone! So I have never tried Spaghetti Squash but want to next week. Any of you have recommendations on your favorite recipe? Does it taste yummy? I dont like creamy sauces so any sort of marinara/meat sauce recipes to go with it would be great!! xoxo

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I actually like mine with just some butter and salt. I've never eaten it any other way.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    I actually like mine with just some butter and salt. I've never eaten it any other way.

Me too.
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    cook it and it willbe stringy like spaghetti noodles, then just make spaghetti like you like, but substitute the noodles with the squash
  • baileybutton
    baileybutton Posts: 45 Member
    Make a homemade marinara sauce to put on top! I like to use a can of crushed tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, onion, mushrooms, garlic and your choice of herbs/spices to give it some extra flavour. Adding ground meat (lean beef/turkey) would be delicious as well!
  • I've tried it three different ways - "I can't believe it's not butter light" and fresh chives, or roasted garlic and fresh parm, or use it just like a noodle and top it with speghetti sauce of your choice. All are VERY good!
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 272 Member
    I like to toss in a can of italian seasoned diced tomatoes and a little paramsen cheese.
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    In our house, with 2 little boys, we fix it and eat it with ground hamburger meat and marinara, just like we do with spaghetti noodles, I do put a little olive oil or butter on it after it's cooked. A small sprinkle of parmesean at that end is delightful!
  • Try a little minced garlic, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon on it. You can toss in a teaspoon of grated parmesan, too.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 577 Member
    Sounds delicious!!! Gonna definately try it!! :happy:
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    I usually just make my normal spaghetti sauce and substitute the squash for pasta. So good!

If you search the recipes, there was one the other day for shrimp alfredo with spaghetti squash. Looked absolutely delicious!
  • I actually like mine with just some butter and salt. I've never eaten it any other way.

Totally off topic but I am in love with your tattoo!

Oh and this spaghetti squash sounds amazing. I've never heard of it before I came on here but feel I need to try it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I made some last night. salt, pepper, upside down in the oven on 375 until soft (like an hour), shred and top however you would top your spag noodles, sheer awesomeness.
  • All of the ideas about spaghetti squash sound so delicious, but in case you don't know how to cook it let me share this: First, wash the squash so that the bacteria on the outside does not get in when you cut into it. Then I puncture the squash with a knife and place it in a dish and cook it in the microwave for 10 minutes at a time, turning after each ten minute increments until the squash is soft. Let it cool as it will be super hot, then cut in open lengthwise (long knife is helpful here). I cook it first because cutting a raw squash can be difficult and cooking it softens it up. Thats when you will get the long spaghetti type strands that are so good with a marinara sauce and parmesan cheese. Mmm.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    I enjoy mine with butter a little salt and pepper, and parmesion cheese. Sometimes spaggetti sauce on top.
    I also have my own "veggie pasta" meal. I boil fresh beets, sautee some Zuccinni with olive oils and garlic, and add some cooked fresh bbeans to thge zuccinn, and slice the beats, add that to the Zuccinni, and eat that ove rthe spaggetti squash with parmession cheese! I love fresh veggies when they are in season! ( Ialso cook mine in the microwave like juls48 does.)

Farmers markets are usually best for buying the, when you pay by the pound on squash you get riped off.
  • jpowers416
    jpowers416 Posts: 57 Member
    I stole a recipe from another post for spaghetti squash and "alfredo" sauce and made it tonight for dinner. I was STUFFED and it was about 300 calories. I very roughly measured everything, so I'm just going to list the approx amounts. It will feed me for at least 3 meals...

1.5 cups Green peppers
    1.5 cups Red peppers
    1 cup onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 tbs EVOO
    7 oz shrimp (or whatever protein you would like)
    Sautee to desired crunch
    Add 3 wedges light Laughing cow creamy swiss cheese and leave on heat until melted

Cut the Spaghetti Squash in half and scoop out the seeds and "guts", place face down on a greased cookie sheet. Cook in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Scrape out the squash from the shell and put the sauce/veggies on top! It's delicious!!!
  • I like it with butter, salt and pepper but you can do anything with it that you would do with noodles. So use it with marinara or pesto.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I absolutely love spaghetti squash!! I made it topped w/ pizza sauce instead of spaghetti sauce the other night and topped w/ fat free feta cheese. It was delicious!

Also you can make it kind of like *alfredo* if you use laughing cow light cheese wedges and fat free or 1/3 less fat cream cheese.

Or just plain w/ a little olive oil and garlic/ herb seasoning. Yum!