Weight Loss Plateau & How To Overcome It

Options
I lost about 37.8lbs from February to July (using the ap LoseIt!) and now I am just stuck! I can't loose anymore weight and I am so frustrated. I'm sure I'm loosing inches since clothes aren't fitting, and I'm getting lower in sizes but I'm so frustrated since I have about 22 more lbs to loose! I am about 5'3 and I am at 144.2 with hopes of being at 125. I have recently started using MyFitnessPal and I am noticing some great suggestions laid out by the app about how much I should be eating of what, but I can't seem to overcome eating my calories of what I burned. For instance, I had 600 calories left over that I should have eaten. But on my whole journey, I have never eaten the calories I burned at the gym and I lost weight efficiently and effectively. But now I'm at a point where I'm not loosing anything and I can't understand why!

Any suggestions on how to jump start weight loss again?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You have gone as far as you can with your current plan. You need to switch it up. I would say, try eating those 600 calories.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As we get closer to our goal weight, we can't eat as few calories as we could when we had more to lose and continue to lose weight. At least that was my personal experience. I'd start by eating back half of your exercise calories on a regular basis and see if that doesn't help you.

ETA: You're about the same height as me and have a similar goal. Really, try eating more and I'm betting you'll start seeing results again.
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, I have lost 4 oz all month. Interested to see the responses cause I am stuck!
  • Whopooh
    Options
    Bump. Like to see responses - have not lost a thing in 4 weeks completely frustrated. I normally eat all of my calories though.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating low calorie faithfully for more than 2-3 months, eat at maintenance level for a week or so and then go back to it. Your hormones, leptin etc need to reset. Try not losing for 6 months, that sucks! :wink:
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As we get closer to our goal weight, we can't eat as few calories as we could when we had more to lose and continue to lose weight. At least that was my personal experience. I'd start by eating back half of your exercise calories on a regular basis and see if that doesn't help you.

ETA: You're about the same height as me and have a similar goal. Really, try eating more and I'm betting you'll start seeing results again.

Try this! Does not make sense but it actually works.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you're still getting smaller you need to re-evaluate your dependence on the number the scale is saying.

:flowerforyou:
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    eat half of your exercise calories. your body needs a change and more food to burn the fat off. more water and less sodium too.. although I haven't looked yet to see if your diary is open.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Try this! Does not make sense but it actually works.
    I agree!!
  • healthyliving_girl
    Options
    Have you changed your workout routine? I find that helps. In the beginning, I simply stuck to the elliptical trainer...then I upped the intensity and minutes. Most recently, I added the a kettlebell workout routine 2x/week. Next up will be classes at the gym: yoga, zumba, etc.

And I agree with the suggestion below to eat your exercise calories. It is best to fluctuate your calories in order to "fool" your body. So, maybe not on all days...but a site I read (can't remember where) had mentioned a plan of having net calories ranging from 1200 to 1600 to 1400, etc.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Greenwellj
    Options
    Get a good protein shake. I up my protein to get me thru. I am there right now so I am cleansing and that also helps.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I think I jump from plateau to plateau. It's really a body tricking thing you gotta do. I'm down to my last 7-9 lbs - depends on the day I weigh. The closer to your goal the harder and longer it takes. Trick your body with crazy & new workouts/rest days (consecutive)/eating more (over) then cutting it back down. It's slow motion for me now I lose on average 1-3 lbs a month now b/c I'm so close.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have to agree. I have the same problem. I lost about 48 pounds (from when I started), and I've been stuck there for weeks. I'm FINALLY back on track by eating back more of my calories (which is really pretty fun since I love good food haha). The only other big change I've made is that because I'm getting to the gym earlier in the day, I am working out on an empty stomach. Between the two, at my official weigh in tomorrow, I'll FINALLY be past my plateau (I peeked today).
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i hit that point about few weeks ago and was so upset one weekend and did not go nuts but ate a little more and different than usually that follow week i was sure i had gain and surprise surprise i actually lost weight so yes i agree eating more calories can help if done a healthy way and continuing with ur exercise routine
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i hit that point about few weeks ago and was so upset one weekend and did not go nuts but ate a little more and different than usually that follow week i was sure i had gain and surprise surprise i actually lost weight so yes i agree eating more calories can help if done a healthy way and continuing with ur exercise routine
  • cdemoura14
    Options
    Have you changed your workout routine? I find that helps. In the beginning, I simply stuck to the elliptical trainer...then I upped the intensity and minutes. Most recently, I added the a kettlebell workout routine 2x/week. Next up will be classes at the gym: yoga, zumba, etc.

And I agree with the suggestion below to eat your exercise calories. It is best to fluctuate your calories in order to "fool" your body. So, maybe not on all days...but a site I read (can't remember where) had mentioned a plan of having net calories ranging from 1200 to 1600 to 1400, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

I have changed my excercise routine, adding strength training and 3x a week running, I was also quite similar to you sticking to a machine I liked but then I thought that possibly that was what put me in the position of not loosing anymore, but I definetly think the calorie in & out could make a difference.
  • VanillaSky72
    VanillaSky72 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Replace your wheat with gluten free products. Wheat is genetically mutated now which causes problems to the body. I make green smoothies with fruit using my vitamix. You need a commercial blender to blend up greens with fruit. The biggest thing is to reduce your carbs and eat more protein, that will help. Substitute Stevia for sugar. You can buy Stevia online in bulk or at certain stores. Don't use any other sweetner, most are poison. I get stuck too, so I would keep counting calories, but again stay away from as many carbs if you can. Sugar promotes more sugar. You still have to exercise, no way around it. I should know because I hate exercise. Substitute almond milk for dairy. Check out how to give your liver a break. www.liverdoctor.com. I take liver tone pills to give my liver the vitamins it needs..etc Dr Sandra has a book on what to eat for your liver and colon...etc If your liver is toxic and overwhelmed with preservatives and junk in your diet. You will never lose weight.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have about the same problem as you so I'm going to keep reading what people say.

I do agree about tricking your body though. In the past that has worked for me. One day totally off plan- then following it strictly 12 days, then off again, etc etc
  • cdemoura14
    Options

Thanks! Its so tough since I am so dedicated and I'm just not at the size/look/shape I want! I will try eating the exercise calories, even though it will be super tough since I think that since I just burned it I shouldn't eat it back LOL!
  • cdemoura14
    Options
    If you're still getting smaller you need to re-evaluate your dependence on the number the scale is saying.

:flowerforyou:

I don't depend on it, I just know what I want to look like and what I'm not looking like. I have a very large stomach that is not sizing down and a scale thats not moving, but jeans that fit a month ago not fitting today. Its frustrating when I have followed a serious strategic plan for 6 months and now its just not showing off any more results!