Treadmill Accuracy

Options
I've seen this question pop up many many times but all consensus's agree that it's reasonably active.

I was on today for 22 minutes alternating between 5.5 - 9km/h but spending more time in the lower half of that. I walked/jogged 2.5km. (Treadmill makes no allowance for weight)

According to http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/ I burned 285 calories (0 gradient weigh 99kg)
According to my Dynamix KP281 I burned just 100.

Other sources suggest the first one is right... but how is my treadmill that far off?

Replies

• PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm about your weight and would have thought the treadmill was nearer. I'll follow replies with interest.

Phil
  • CDBrookins
    Options
    Actually, they both may be right. Some calorie counters count just the calories burned by the exercise (the 100 result), while others factor in the calories you'd burn normally (by breathing, digestion, etc.) PLUS the calories you burned exercising (the 280 result.) This is why the myth persists that you burn as much calories walking 5Km as you do running one. Perhaps over the distance you will (since it takes longer to walk 5K, therefore you'd spend more time breathing), but over an actual time period (example 20 minutes) you would burn many more calories running than walking. Confusing, I know.