Which machine burns the most calories at the gym?

Options
Hey everyone- I have been doing the elliptical for the last week and I wanted to see who knows which other machines at the gym work off more calories. Suggestions???

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's not the machine that will burn the most calories. What matters is your level of effort and duration.

Increased heart rate = more calories burned.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would think the Elliptical or the rowing machines were the best workout cause they are full body
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It's not the machine that will burn the most calories. What matters is your level of effort and duration.

^^^ This.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I get the biggest burn from the elliptical. Second is the arc trainer. Third, the upright stationary bike. Last is the recumbent bike.

I love my elliptical. :)

(I try to get my heart rate in my target zones, too)

There is a stepper at my gym, but honestly, I can't work the darn thing. I've tried. I heard it's good too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Agreed

And don't go by what the machine says for cals burned, they are way off. If you want to know the answer for you, get an HRM and see how many cals you burn at similar intensity thresholds on each machine.

I will burn more on the treadmill as I push myself harder to hit good times. Most would say the elliptical or treadmill, but it depends how hard you push yourself on either.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    In my experience the Elliptical/Cross-trainers burn the most calories, then the treadmill and then the bikes....however, that is all relative in relation to your intensity/speed/tension levels etc. If you are in a spin class you can easily burn more than riding the bike in your own workout. Ultimately, what you put in will be rewarded with the best calorie burn and benifit for your body. (IMHO)
  • AliDarling
    Options
    i got to go with the eliptical efx566. I could burn 867-1100 in 65 min on that thing. lv 8 - 12 interval
  • IrisGarcia86
    IrisGarcia86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym during my lunch hour so i can only do about 30-35 minutes on the elliptical and I burn about 300-350 calories(that is what the machine says). I wanted to try other machines too...this is why I was asking :) My heart rate is about 150-160 bpm
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

True BUT in my own experience I ALWAYS end up burning more cals on the elliptical. It's probably b/c it's designed to be low-impact you can go longer & harder than on a treadmill plus it involves your arms and upper body more.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for specific calories/minute then you get a higher calorie burn out of those which are the most Weight Bearing.

As such, a recumbant cycle is the lowest, and a free stepper/stairclimber is the highest.

That being said, the one you'll use consistantly with proper form is the one which will burn the most for you.
  • reese1206
    Options
    This exactly

Agreed

And don't go by what the machine says for cals burned, they are way off. If you want to know the answer for you, get an HRM and see how many cals you burn at similar intensity thresholds on each machine.

I will burn more on the treadmill as I push myself harder to hit good times. Most would say the elliptical or treadmill, but it depends how hard you push yourself on either.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I would think the Elliptical or the rowing machines were the best workout cause they are full body

Agreed. . .. . Just make sure that if you choose to use the rowing maching that you have a fitness professional show you how to use it properly to get the best overall workout without sustaining injury. . .

I would also cross train using some weight machines along with some free weights. . Good luck in your endeavors.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i got to go with the eliptical efx566. I could burn 867-1100 in 65 min on that thing. lv 8 - 12 interval

Is that what the machine tells you or your HRM, if it is the machine, don't beleive it. It is very hard to burn more than 12-15 cals/minute (depending on weight and fitness level) on any activity for a prolonged period of time.
  • Sweet_Southern_Tea
    Options
    I also agree it's not the machine it the effort. You should be increasing the level and resistant level at least every 3 weeks. However, I get my best workout on the elliptical on incline 10 resistant level 12. I also love the stair master and bike where you have to move your arms and there is no back to the seat.
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home, use the stairmaster or treadmill(with an incline) at the gym. I definitely burn the most calories(based on my HRM) on the stairmaster, but it depends on how much effort/intensity level you put into it. If you do the entire workout at a low intensity, your HR is lower, you'll burn less calories- no matter which machine you use. Good luck finding a machine that you can max out your HR & calories burned!
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The most calories would likely not be a machine. An active physical sport or an aerobics class that you *really* work at would be your best best. I've seen some serious calorie burn from people doing Zumba, or playing tennis, racquetball, soccer.
  • turnbo60155
    Options
    Treadmills – generally recognised to be the best calorie burning cardio workout you can get in a gym. A high intensity run on a treadmill can burn as much as 1200 calories in an hour session. Walking briskly can contribute to 472 calories burned in an hour. One of the main reasons these machines are so effective is that the body has to support itself during the activity, all that balance through the running action involves using muscles that burn calories. A drawback of the treadmill is that it is a high impact machine meaning your joints will take a pounding.

Stair Masters – Ever tried walking or jogging up several flights of stairs? That is what the never ending stairway on a stair master replicates. Your heart rate will soar and calories will be burned as well as your thighs getting pumped. Expect to burn 700 calories an hour on this machine if you can last that long. They are definitely lower impact than treadmills but the higher resistance generated by lifting your body weight vertically on each leg with each step will tone muscles and in some cases help generate muscle growth. Choose a stair climber with care, often dubbed the stairway to heaven because you will feel like you are dying on this machine.

Elliptical Trainers – Like a stair master this machine will help burn off up to 700 calories per hour. These machines are increasingly popular as they are low impact (the body is supported) but you exercise with balance so get to use core muscles for extra calorie burn. With these machines technique and resistance is everything. The wrong technique like not using handles properly or allowing the machines momentum to carry you will lead to a more inefficient workout.

Rowing Machines – Depending on technique and athleticism you can burn 600-1200 calories per hour but you need technique. The rower is low impact and utilises upper and lower body to get your heart rate up but if you use incorrect technique or poor form you can do serious injury to your back. If your technique is good reaching the “bonk” is very possible.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options

^this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This. Best answer.