gain some weight (muscle mass)

Options
I need some help regarding gaining muscle mass, I lost 50 lbs. over the past two years and now I am too skinny...I have been power lifting over the past 6-7 months and altough i have gotten stronger I haven't gained any weight back, i'm trying to get an idea of how much I need to be eating to gain back about 10 lbs. of muscle. I lift 2-3x a week for 1-2 hours, cardio on 3 days a week for 30-40 mins, i'm 6'2" and 200 lbs., can anyone help me??????

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Check out a site called musclehack.com. It's free. My husband used it, followed the program and was gaining about 1 pound a week. Of course, it wasn't a pound of straight muscle, a little was fat. But, if you eat a really healthy diet and avoid junk foods (he still ate processed, high cal foods) you might be able to minimize the fat gain.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    How long you lift isn't as important as your technique, intensity and volume that you're doing. I've seen countless people in gyms for hours who aren't getting anything out of their workouts because they're not effectively working their muscles.

Type of training is also a factor. Powerlifting will give you maximal strength, but isn't the same as training for size of physique alterations.

Nutritionally speaking, thre are 2500 calories in 1lb of lean muscle tissue, which is 75% water, and the remaining 25% coming from Proteins to build tissues, and carbs/fat for stored energy as muscle glycogen. In that respect, you need to supplement with additional calories and protein in order to build, as well as increased water which is an essential part of all cellular tissues.

There is no magic formula save hard work and persistance.

Without knowing the intensity of your program however , being able to check your form, and change any specifics in what you're doing in your workouts, there is no simple answer to your question.
  • jmatsko19
    Options
    thank you for the site i will check it out...well i'm fairly experienced and stick mainly to dead lifts, squats, bench, hang cleans, etc., i alternate reps/sets, ie 5 x 54321 one week, 4 x 4, 3 x 8, etc. my gut feeling is that i simply am not eating enough i just don't want to eat too much so i start to gain muscle and fat...i'm pretty sure my form and what i'm doing in the gym is up to par, just need help with the intake
  • jmatsko19
    Options
    oh and my lifting intensity is high, i do not go to the gym to socialize