Anyone using a Heart Monitor?

Options
Just curious if anyone is using a heart monitor when they walk or exercise? We are doing something similar to the Biggest Looser at work and the trainer leading it is recommending we purchase a heart monitor that you can read on your wrist while you walk and one that also lets you know calories burned for your age/weight.

Curious what you use, where you purchased it, and ballpark price if you remember, and if you think they are worth it?

Thanks!!

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I like using mine for curiosity. I don't purposely eat my exercise calories and I'd still work out even without it, so it's not really a "must" for me.

I bought mine at The Sports Authority for about $90ish. It is a Polar.
  • EMNorris
    Options
    I bought mine at Meijer (grocery store) in their pharmacy dept. They were having a sale - got mine for $29.99 and it is a MIO brand that came with a pedometer. I am just learning how to use it.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love my monitor, i don't like exercising without it as it makes me work harder.
    I'm from the UK so not much point telling you where i bought mine
  • lilsnowbird
    Options
    I use mine all the time, treadmill, zumba class, kickboxing class, Ripped in 30 dvd, walking, ....can't live without it....I bought a MIO in Canada from Canadian Tire for $60.00.....you will find the most popular choice on here is Polar F4 and you can get them on Amazon for $69.00 apprx......they are definitely worth the purchase to get an accurate reading on calories burned.....good luck

P.S. DO NOT GET SPORTSLINE......and make sure you get one that asks you to enter your weight on it.....
  • abbie017
    Options
    I have a Polar, and I think it was the best investment I've made in a long time. It's really eye-opening to see what you do, or don't burn. I spent about $100 on mine and bought it online on amazon.
  • cnklapper
    cnklapper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex that I've used for a year and love it. Bought it from Amazon for $50 or less. Whatever you choose to buy, make sure it has a chest strap. They tend to be more accurate than the wrist-only monitors.
  • jolandiebotha
    Options
    I have a Polar, and I think it was the best investment I've made in a long time. It's really eye-opening to see what you do, or don't burn. I spent about $100 on mine and bought it online on amazon.

I also have a Polar my whole family uses them they are really good
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and use it in every workout. A lot of people think very highly of Polar and I agree. Something to keep in mind if you are looking into purchasing one, you need to get one with a chest strap in order to get an accurate reading of your heart rate. Secondly, you need to be able to enter your height, weight, age, gender into the HRM. And lastly you need to measure your at rest heart rate with the HRM for it to know how much you are burning when you heart rate gets to a certain value.

Since everyone's resting Heart rate is different even if we are the exact same person in regards to height, weight, age and gender we could burn different amounts of calories.

I will say that my HRM has been the best investment I have ever made. So I strongly encourage purchasing one!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar and I use it for most of my work-outs. Its way more accurate than relying on estimates for average folks working at unspecified intensity levels. Sadly, or not, you will find that more often than not, the calories burnt according to the HRM are lower than the ones estimated by the fitness machine, MFP, or other system. However, that's a good thing because knowing the accurate number will help you determine how many calories you should eat.

whatever you choose, get a HRM with a chest strap.
  • I just started using a Polar FT7 that I got from Amazon.

edit: It includes a chest strap.
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of responses, thanks everyone. I have been looking at the Polar 4 at Amazon.com myself and seems to be a popular model here. I did see there were some without a chest strap, which does sound nice but is it true they are not as accurate?
  • BobinNC66
    Options
    First time I heard of them used for exercise was at this meeting, before that just thought during a stress test or something. Had no idea they were so widely used.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of responses, thanks everyone. I have been looking at the Polar 4 at Amazon.com myself and seems to be a popular model here. I did see there were some without a chest strap, which does sound nice but is it true they are not as accurate?

I did a bit of research before buying mine last year. Everything I read stated that the HRMs without chest straps are not nearly as accurate as the chest strap ones. But, that was last year and technology is always evolving. There might be something better out there right now.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

correct....the HRMs without a chest strap are not as accurate.

for me, I was initially concerned that the chest strap would bother me...but it doesn't.
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought one yesterday after doing a 3.25 mile walk and questioning whether the app on my phone and the calorie counter in the database were close to accurate. if I'm going to eat these exercise calories back, I don't want them to be inaccurate!

I bought a New Balance one with a chest strap at Target for about $70. I wore it when I did the elliptical at the Y this morning and it said that I burned about 40 more calories than the calorie count on the elliptical machine read. So, it's definitely worth it in my book!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you going to get anything, Polar is the best bet. Either the FT4 or the FT7.. the two most popular.

You need one with a chest strap and that lets you enter age, weight, height and gender. Steer clear of Timex.. calorie count is way over estimated.
  • BobinNC66
    Options
    My Polar FT7 came in the mail today!! My wife got the FT4 and it should be in tomorrow. We'll see how it goes! I like so far because it is also a watch and doesn't look all gaudy like it is something other than a watch.