Eating Healthy is too expensive!!!!

Options
I hate that eating healthy makes my grocery bill higher than buying the cheap unhealthy stuff. My kids love quick meals and it seems that thats all I have time for these days. Between girl scouts, school meetings, church, work, and homework I have no time to do anything. Let alone house chores that are a must....and trying take care of my "wifely duties"....Ughhhhh!!!! I'm so discouraged..don't mind me.

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well I look at it like this, a little more money now for no hospitalization or multiple doctor visits in the future..In the end it would be cheaper to just eat healhty. I know it's pricey, but it benefits, trust me I see it all the time.
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables! They're healthy, pretty inexpensive and they last...no throwing anything out. I have 3 kids....so I totally get the whole budgeting thing. Frozen vegetables are my best friend.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as saving money in the long run on Healthcare. Lol
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    AND......it's WAY cheaper buying GOBS of frozen veggies than GOBS of crap like pizza rolls and junk.
  • kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you have to take some time for yourself! This adventure is making you a healthier person so you can be super Mom, super sexy wife and a happier person. It is more expensive, not going to lie. Do you have a crock pot? You can make dinners and there and they can be ready between all of the exciting things in your day...best of luck!
  • melbaby925
    Options
    Your vent is completely understandable. We all go through times like this - and that's when I remind myself that eating healthy now and exercising is going to be the reason why I won't need a walker/oxygen/hospital later on.

It is worth it! Just sometimes overwhelming. You gotta take some time to plan and prepare ahead of time and work it into the crazy schedule and it'll become habit.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Well I look at it like this, a little more money now for no hospitalization or multiple doctor visits in the future..In the end it would be cheaper to just eat healhty. I know it's pricey, but it benefits, trust me I see it all the time.

This to the millionth power. Invest in your health now, your interest will grow, and you will prosper. Don't invest in it at all for a quick meal, and you will being paying for it later anyway.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Quit whining. Instead, figure out a solution. What are you buying that is so expensive? I eat all organic, whole foods, nothing processed, and I spend between $85-$125 a month to feed two people and a cat that gets all homemade food. Buy local, it's cheaper. Don't buy "health" diet-foods...they really aren't that great for you and they're expensive. Stick to local fruits and vegetables...even frozen veggies, bulk grains and beans and lean meats...find one day a week to give yourself time to prep meals. It's possible, you just have to spend some time reconfiguring. We're all busy people with a lot going on in our lives...the less time we spend complaining about it will give you more time to do something about it instead.
  • anvacarz
    Options
    Yes, frozen veggies are awesome. Also- hit up your local farmers' market if available. So much cheaper than the grocery store and you can meet the person who grows your veggies!

Keep at it. Eating healthy decreases hospital bills and makes you feel good. Make it a priority.
  • ksharon22
    Options
    Feels better to get a little venting in!! I get where you are coming from. It's a bit overwhelming at times and I keep thinking it'll be better when this or that is done but it never seems to be better. Keep plugging along, you can do it! You are worth the investment of time and money put towards a healthy you!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies, whole wheat pasta, and beans are good things that aren't costly. The shame is that a McDouble has many more calories for the money.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables
    And beans!
    And do you have a fresh vege store near you? - some vegie-market places sell really cheap veges (although, in Summer I go for salads - keep well in the fridge and no cooking at all :)

Good luck! I remember a life with young children ... hectically busy!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Look up recipes for freezer meals. That way you can take days when you do have time, make a bunch of meals, pop them in the freezer, and then you have healthy stuff that's ready to go. My husband and I are both teachers, we're both in grad school, we both coach, and we have 2 kids, so I know where you are coming from.

Also, just buy fresh veggies and fruits that are in season, they're less expensive. If you have a Costco or Sam's membership, you can get great deals of fresh veggies and fruits in bulk, then you can blanch and freeze those as well.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a magazine with 15-minute healthy, low cal meals.

As for scheduling:

FLYlady.net

You got this!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to start putting YOURSELF first...Perhaps you need to whittle down your commitments..That is what I finally had to do....It's fine that your family prefers processed meals, but in the long run it's best that they eat more healthy...It's true that some processed foods are cheaper, however, you don't have to buy all organic and if you shop the sales, you can get fresh ingredients for less...Good luck on your journey..!!... :flowerforyou:
  • valeri223
    valeri223 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try coupons (if you have the time) :) They help me out a lot.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree, but I think there can also be a happy medium.
    Since you are really busy, have you considered making meals in the crock-pot instead of some of the boxed/frozen meals?
    My other suggestion would be intense meal planning (chart every meal - breakfast, lunch and dinner) and also making a larger meal that can be eaten the next evening too.
    Good luck!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i always make home cooked meals. if you think about it, frozen meals aren't that cheap at all. when you cook yourself you have enough to last a whole week if you make it in large quantities. so if you multipy the cost of the frozen food by how many people eating and how many days a week you eat, it will come out more expensive. and it's soooo much healthier!
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat for around $7 a day. And it is mostly fresh veggies, fruit, and raw cashews/nuts. My diary is open to all to look at. I eat almost the same stuff everyday with few exeptions.
  • jlikennedy3
    jlikennedy3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I completely understand... between football for my oldest kid, work, church, and attempting to stay up on the house work there is no time for cooking! If you have more than 1 kid, which I have two, the price for groceries and everything else is outrageous. What I do is when I am able to finally cook a meal, I make sure to make enough for 2 meals. That way we can eat it that day and have leftovers for the next. My husband would rather have a home cooked meal any day so he does not complain about leftovers at all. Then when time does not premit cooking and we have to go out to eat, I make sure to eat light.