Any Middle Eastern dancers out there?

Options
Greetings, all!

Back in highschool, I discovered Middle Eastern Dance (more commonly known as belly dance). One of the teachers taught it before school and I fell in love with it! Unfortunately, I was unable to devote much time to it while trying to find a job straight out of school. But recently, I have rediscovered it. I've been at a plateau and noticed Borders was going out of business. I was pleased to find that they had Middle Eastern Dance videos! I ordered a couple.

I have been at a plateau for almost 2 weeks, and it doesn't help that I have an injury. I did my normal excercises, then tried only 35 minutes of this dance.

The results were shocking.

I had lost 2 pounds that day alone! Now, I try to do this dance at least twice a week.

So, any other Middle Eastern dancers out there?

Replies

• Sharon150
    Options
    I love Belly Dance. It is fun and you can burn lots of calories! Have you tried Zumba?
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    YES! We have classes here at the gym but my main mode of transportation is my bike and in order to actually take the class, I'd hafta wait around, do it, then I'd end up getting home by like 6:30. That's like a 12-hour day for me. I have a Kinect and am thinking about getting that Zumba fitness game they have.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Love Middle Eastern dance also - which ones did you get? I am looking for ones that give a great burn also. I have the Shimmy Season 1 dvds, they are short but fun.
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I danced and taught Tribal Belly Dance for many, many years. Stopped about 6 years ago, due to personal issues. However, I should really get back into it. I've started to miss it.
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been taking belly dance for about a year and half now, but since I got married I had to stop because life has gotten in the way. The beginning of the year I am heading back. I miss my shimmy sisters. :)
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    I'm quite new to it. I've just been learning from whatever vids I can find. I watch some on youtube. I'm still experimenting with the 3 vids I got. I've done a portion of one called Sadie's Complete Guide of Belly Dancing. So far, I really like it.

I'm terrible with posture in the hips, LOL!