Abs sore - still work them tonight?

Options
Hey folks -

So my physical trainer once told me that the stiff, slight pain feeling in your muscles the day after the workout is them tearing down, and rebuilding. She also told me to work my abs daily since I have the post-c-section gut.

Apparently I worked them a bit hard on Tuesday, as I'm still uncomfortable in the abs. I can work through it without issues, but does it hinder the muscle building process? Should I wait until the muscles have calmed down?

Thanks guys. Love ya!

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I also have heard to work abs every day, no matter ...
  • melyfitserrano
    Options
    Hi,

I have read that muscles should not be trained everyday, that when the muscle rests, it repairs. I don't know how true this is, but this makes sense to me. I think you should try every other day for the abs? I am not a fitness trainer, but I have heard that a lot from professionals.
  • beginswithb
    Options
    My best friend is a personal trainer and her biggest piece of advice is "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY." If they are still sore, perhaps work them with less intensity? A day off, however, can also be beneficial. GO with your gut (heh heh, couldn't help it). <3
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You want to be careful not do too much too fast. You may have overtrained one day, which is why you are more sore today. Taking a day off or going easy would allow for the muscles to heal.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree. If they're really sore, rest them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I work my abs for a total of about 15 minutes a week sort of every other day. I know some people work them once a week, some not at all (and have RIPPPPPED abs). So, yeah.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I also have heard to work abs every day, no matter ...

This is not good advise. Abs are like any other muscle group and they require rest (that is when the get stronger) So you should never work abs everyday (every second or third day is all you need)
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great Post: I have been wondering the same thing. I most often take a day off to recover.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have read that muscles should not be trained everyday, that when the muscle rests, it repairs

exactly what I follow
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i've heard differently. your body needs time to rest and rebuild. so if your constantly working at your abs they wont be able to build as they should. i would just take a day in between workout. i do that with mine now, one day i will do emphasis on legs next upper then switch between the two so those muscles have time to rest
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    my trainer said you should switch it up.. and Dr. Oz was talking about different abs workouts on his site. maybe go check it out.. my arms are sore from Tues.. but i am doing legs tonight.. feel better